Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Going to go out tonight. Is the below info correct for moidern canon cameras or can interval be shortened.

9. SET YOUR SHOOTING INTERVAL TO ONE SECOND LONGER THAN YOUR SHUTTER SPEED​

You will need an intervalometer to shoot star trails. If your camera doesn’t have an internal intervalometer, you can use an external intervalometer instead.

If your shutter speed is 30 seconds, your interval should be 31 seconds. This will ensure there is almost no time left between shots. Leaving a long interval between shots will create gaps in your image, which won’t look pleasing to the eye.

Adding one extra second beyond the exposure time as an interval is a good practice for photographing both star trails and time-lapse.

thanks in advance

Here is an article that explains a little more detail on long exposure vs short exposure.

Star Trail Blog

Way different than my original post

For short star trails, set 50 images. For longer or circular star trails, you need at least 200 shots. The more shots you take, the more prominent the star trails.

1. See to it that there is no delay between one shot to another. It is ideal to have less than one second between shots. If it is longer, you will have star trails that look like it is skipping from one point to another.

So plan this week is rp with 15/35 @ 15mm 1 second delay with 30 sec shutter speed
R6ii 24/70 @24mm will go with 31 second delay with shutter sppeed 30 sec

wish me luck will post later in week with results

Last edited:
wish me lust will post later in week

1 second delay with 30 sec shutter speed
Be sure to label your lusty post: NSFW

Looking forward to see what works for you...especially the settings.

I think this needs a 31 second delay...one second longer than the 30 second exposure.

Be sure to label your lusty post: NSFW

Looking forward to see what works for you...especially the settings.

I think this needs a 31 second delay...one second longer than the 30 second exposure.
edited post darn grammar guess you got a giggle apologies but doubt anyone was offended :)

Keen to see how you go! I've loved using my 15-35mm for astro stuff, and the R6 is a beast at low-light (although I am comparing that to my old camera which was an M50, so maybe not exactly fair lol)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back