Strobes and Flashes

My studio setup I have mix of many systems.

I have some number of super-cheap Neewer 300W strobes (AC only), I have another battery powered Neewer (Flashpoint brand, but it's actually Neewer), and I have 2 of the Flashpoint AD200. That Neewer-Flashpoint is using different remote than the R2-AD200 remote.

Usually I just trigger the AD200, and everything else is in optical slave so they'll follow in manual mode. Since it's studio setup, easy to modify powers manually when setting up, and then just keep shooting.

I did some experiment on the 2 different trigger systems, and I found out I can trick them to be used. I also have 4 of the yongnuo 622 triggers, originally bought for my speedlites.

So if I want to use the Neewer-Flashpoint and the AD200 on remote (for example can't use optical slave due to other photographers or too bright sunlight), they Yongnuo and R2 can be physically stacked but they don't work correctly. However, I can mount just the Yongnuo on camera, then mount the R2 on another Yongnuo, and that'll trigger everything correctly.

My studio setup I have mix of many systems.

I have some number of super-cheap Neewer 300W strobes (AC only), I have another battery powered Neewer (Flashpoint brand, but it's actually Neewer), and I have 2 of the Flashpoint AD200. That Neewer-Flashpoint is using different remote than the R2-AD200 remote.

Usually I just trigger the AD200, and everything else is in optical slave so they'll follow in manual mode. Since it's studio setup, easy to modify powers manually when setting up, and then just keep shooting.

I did some experiment on the 2 different trigger systems, and I found out I can trick them to be used. I also have 4 of the yongnuo 622 triggers, originally bought for my speedlites.

So if I want to use the Neewer-Flashpoint and the AD200 on remote (for example can't use optical slave due to other photographers or too bright sunlight), they Yongnuo and R2 can be physically stacked but they don't work correctly. However, I can mount just the Yongnuo on camera, then mount the R2 on another Yongnuo, and that'll trigger everything correctly.
I’m tracking exactly what you’re saying! I started out with a hodgepodge of equipment as well. Went through similar versions of setups. The good news is that I now understand a great dea about what to do when things stop working!

I agree with you! I’ve been using the XPLOR 600’s for about 2 years now. (x3) I bought the R

I agree with you! I’ve been using the XPLOR 600’s for about 2 years now. (x3) and love them! I recently just ordered XPLOR 100 Pro II to add to a boom, and use as a backlight/fill light.
Nice. I will add
I agree with Rhino that Godox provides very acceptable performance for the dollars spent. I have the Flashpoint EXPLORE 600 and two of the AD200 strobes. I also carry my two Canon 430EXII flashes with me in my backpack along with the Godox XProC Wireless controller which can control up to 5 groups of flashes. I mount these to my two Godox X1RC Transceivers allowing me to have two very portable and light-off camera flashes that can be controlled from the camera.

Amazon: Godox Xpro-C 2.4G X System TTL Wireless Flash Trigger Transmitter & 2 X1R-C Controller Receiver Compatible for Canon Flash $149.00

This is a very flexible arrangement. The Godox XProC Wireless controller can be used with all my flashes.
BINGO! I have a 430II and 560. I don’t use them much, but when I do, they are added as slaves with the X1R-C.

As far as the XPLOR 100, I like the additional 100 Ws of the AD200's for almost the same price. Of course, is is a larger flash, but it still fits the Bowens mount.

Last edited:
I've recently started setting up a small (mini) home studio, all on a tight budget. Got softbox, backdrop, and Canon 430EX III RT speedlite so far used on camera (Canon RP). I must say I'm pretty happy with the first shooting results but I want to try and use off camera speedlite. I've done some search and there are few options including Canon ST-E3-RT controller, Yongnuo triggers, and recommended by you Godox. Considering I've already own 430EX speedlite what would be the best, and the cheapest option to go for? I would be grateful for any respond. Thanks
You could consider getting 2 more wireless speed lights. You wouldn’t need to add a controller since the one on camera would fire the other 2. This would also be a good starter set of lights for outside as well. You could add tripods and soft boxes for your defusers

You could consider getting 2 more wireless speed lights. You wouldn’t need to add a controller since the one on camera would fire the other 2. This would also be a good starter set of lights for outside as well. You could add tripods and soft boxes for your defusers
Thank you for a good tip. That's another option to be considered

I've recently started setting up a small (mini) home studio, all on a tight budget. Got softbox, backdrop, and Canon 430EX III RT speedlite so far used on camera (Canon RP). I must say I'm pretty happy with the first shooting results but I want to try and use off camera speedlite. I've done some search and there are few options including Canon ST-E3-RT controller, Yongnuo triggers, and recommended by you Godox. Considering I've already own 430EX speedlite what would be the best, and the cheapest option to go for? I would be grateful for any respond. Thanks
I’ve had the canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT for a while paired with the 600EX II-RT speedlite and 4 additional youngnuo 600 Ex II, which were at least $300 cheaper for about 4 years.They work perfectly together. I use them in radio trigger mode, program and control them from the transmitter or camera. I wanted to be able to do multiple lighting setups, but not incur the canon price x5. I’ve used all 5 at once or just a couple at a time. No problems.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back