Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
A Kefauver
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I wrote to PD to ask if they have any anchors with longer tethers because the lugs on some lenses are so thick that the anchors are so close to the lens it's hard to get the strap to clip on.

PD responded:
"I am sorry but we don't have anything longer than that. We always recommend folks attach our plates and anchor mounts onto the camera body as that will be the best way to use our products. Lens bayonets are actually very strong and are designed to hold upwards of 200lbs. The collars and feet that are on many larger lenses are designed to be used more so for balancing on a tripod than “strength" -- this is why they are also referred to as Tripod Collars or Tripod Foot. -- many of us at Peak have this lens and we attach the strap to the body and not the lens itself."

How do you feel about this statement? I am leery of hanging a 600mm f/4 on an R5 and then using a sling strap only attached to the body. This means the lens is only supported by the bayonet mount on the body.

Thoughts?

I'm with you on this topic. I've used PD straps for quite some time and, during my Nikon years, attached PD anchors to the tripod collar of my 70-200 f2.8 lens attached to my D850. That camera was a tank, but the lens was equally as heavy and I feared the added stress on the lens mount. I was able to loop the PD anchors through/around the tripod collar's foot. It was a little cumbersome, but it worked.

I have an R5 and a 600mm f4 v2 which is fairly heavy. I do not use the PD system with this setup. I have read that when carrying the R5/600, one should hold the combo at the tripod collar mount, not the camera body because it causes excessive force on the lens mount. Hanging the 600 off the lens mount by attaching PD anchors to the camera body could result again in an excesss stress state on the lens mount.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back