Followers
Following
Name
Bryan Conner
City/State
Ravensburg, Germany
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I purchased an Urth ND 64 filter in 2021. Like my other Urth/Gobe filters I have owned over the last several years, I was very pleased with the filter's build quality as well as image quality delivered. But this filter developed a problem in which it didn't thread onto or off of the lens very smoothly or effortlessly. It felt like it was going to get stuck, or maybe damage the filter threads on my lens. Urth filters have a lifetime warranty, so I thought "let's see....".

I contacted Urth Customer Service and explained my problem. The responded in a few hours and were very kind, very apologetic, and had a few questions. I provided answers and then in a very reasonable amount of time, maybe the next day, the asked for me to send a copy of my purchase receipt, and some photos of the filter. I did so. Then they asked if I could make a short video showing the difficulty I had with threading the filter onto the lens so their Quality manager could see the problem. I did so.

Then they apologized again for my problem and issued me a discount code for the entire purchase price which I could use to buy anything in their online store.

I was a big fan of Urth filters before this, but now I can definitely recommend them to anyone. Outstanding customer service for sure.

I have to confess that I never heard of these filters, but now will definitely check them out. Thanks for sharing.

I had never heard of them either before moving from America to Germany in 2010. Back then, their name was Gobe, and they later changed their name to Urth. I think the name change was because they wanted to promote their environmentally friendliness (Earth). They had lots of good reviews here in Germany, and knowing how critical Germans can be in user reviews, I thought I would try them. I had been a long time Hoya and Tiffen user and had bought a new lens recently so I needed a new circular polarizer. I ordered both an Urth (Gobe then) and a Hoya. I tried my best to like the Hoya better, but couldn't. Gobe's (now Urth) packaging was much better and the filter quality was at least as good as Hoya's. I returned the Hoya and kept the Gobe.

In case anyone looks at buying older Gobe filters, they used to have a 1, 2, or 3 peak rating system for their filter quality levels. More peaks meant higher quality. Some sellers on Amazon here in Germany still offer some Gobe filters. I have never owned any 1 peak Gobe filters, just 2 and 3 peak when a 3 peak was available.

Urth filters have only two quality levels now, Urth and Urth+. I have only owned Urth + filters.

They do have an Urth US online shop.

I had never heard of them either before moving from America to Germany in 2010. Back then, their name was Gobe, and they later changed their name to Urth. I think the name change was because they wanted to promote their environmentally friendliness (Earth). They had lots of good reviews here in Germany, and knowing how critical Germans can be in user reviews, I thought I would try them. I had been a long time Hoya and Tiffen user and had bought a new lens recently so I needed a new circular polarizer. I ordered both an Urth (Gobe then) and a Hoya. I tried my best to like the Hoya better, but couldn't. Gobe's (now Urth) packaging was much better and the filter quality was at least as good as Hoya's. I returned the Hoya and kept the Gobe.

In case anyone looks at buying older Gobe filters, they used to have a 1, 2, or 3 peak rating system for their filter quality levels. More peaks meant higher quality. Some sellers on Amazon here in Germany still offer some Gobe filters. I have never owned any 1 peak Gobe filters, just 2 and 3 peak when a 3 peak was available.

Urth filters have only two quality levels now, Urth and Urth+. I have only owned Urth + filters.

They do have an Urth US online shop.
I had heard of Gobe filters. Didn’t know they changed the name.

I purchased an Urth ND 64 filter in 2021. Like my other Urth/Gobe filters I have owned over the last several years, I was very pleased with the filter's build quality as well as image quality delivered. But this filter developed a problem in which it didn't thread onto or off of the lens very smoothly or effortlessly. It felt like it was going to get stuck, or maybe damage the filter threads on my lens. Urth filters have a lifetime warranty, so I thought "let's see....".

I contacted Urth Customer Service and explained my problem. The responded in a few hours and were very kind, very apologetic, and had a few questions. I provided answers and then in a very reasonable amount of time, maybe the next day, the asked for me to send a copy of my purchase receipt, and some photos of the filter. I did so. Then they asked if I could make a short video showing the difficulty I had with threading the filter onto the lens so their Quality manager could see the problem. I did so.

Then they apologized again for my problem and issued me a discount code for the entire purchase price which I could use to buy anything in their online store.

I was a big fan of Urth filters before this, but now I can definitely recommend them to anyone. Outstanding customer service for sure.
I've an Urth ND64-1000 filter which is well made and is packaged in a screw-top tin with foam padding for protection. Very pleased with it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back