Your R System Images - September 2026

Welcome to our Canon RF Shooters Forum

Be apart of something great, join today!

Halos in the second image?

Guilty as charged!

Overprocessing on my part. I like to see a bit of color/texture on any peripherial trees/leaves/branches that frame the image.

I will try to tone it down.

:oops:
 
A neighbor brought over some flowers from their yard before the storm took them down. I took a few quick frames. The first few are mandevilla, and the last one is a rose.

105A7019.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
105A7020.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
105A7022.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
105A7024.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 
At the risk of boring you, I will share versions of the above, modified in Photoshop for a dreamier look. I'm curious to hear which versions speak to you best.

105A7019-2.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
105A7020-2.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
105A7022-2.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
105A7024-2.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 
Hard to choose between them. I will say that I like the second version a little better, because the softer look is more calming somehow. I particularly like the second photo of the second group. Very relaxing to look at, if that makes any sense.
 
A little trip up the M6 to Leighton Moss Nature reserve to capture one of my favourite birds the Bearded Tit.

The light wasn't great and we arrived late in the morning so I was lucky to even catch them.
After an hour's wait a male and female appeared at the grit bins.

All shot on the R1 on a RF600 f4 with a 2x TC.

2026_09_26_01356-001.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.


Young male

2026_09_26_01782.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
2026_09_26_01930-015.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
2026_09_26_01996-026.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
2026_09_26_02007-027.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 
A little trip up the M6 to Leighton Moss Nature reserve to capture one of my favourite birds the Bearded Tit.

The light wasn't great and we arrived late in the morning so I was lucky to even catch them.
After an hour's wait a male and female appeared at the grit bins.

All shot on the R1 on a RF600 f4 with a 2x TC.

View attachment 49692

Young male

View attachment 49693View attachment 49694View attachment 49695View attachment 49696
pedant mode on...

"The bearded reedling is a small, long-tailed passerine bird found in reed beds near water in the temperate zone of Eurasia. It is frequently known as the bearded tit or occasionally as bearded parrotbill, as historically it was believed to be closely related to either the tits or parrotbills. Today it is known to lack close relatives and it is the only species in the family Panuridae."
 
Guilty as charged!

Overprocessing on my part. I like to see a bit of color/texture on any peripherial trees/leaves/branches that frame the image.

I will try to tone it down.

:oops:
I guess a lot of people have been 'guilty' of overprocessing at one point or another. :)
 
I guess a lot of people have been 'guilty' of overprocessing at one point or another. :)
You should see some of my earlier attempts at post processing. They looked like something out of a comic book. Just because the tool is in there doesn’t mean you have to use it.
 
At the end of our street, where it intersects with another, is a protected area. It is wilderness next door. Early in the year, it treats us to a great show of wild roses. Several days ago, I noticed a cluster of yellow flowers as I drove home. Later, I walked down with my camera and photographed the Goldenrod flowers, at times carried away by the strong wind. I adjusted the ISO and f-stop until I got a slow enough shutter speed to capture their movement.

105A6999.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
105A7010.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
105A7011.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 
Our final post for this month comes from last weekend's Frank-Fest to Bolton Abbey, Wharfedale, North Yorkshire, England.

(Processed with: DxO PL E and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels. Lower panels are non-R System tech - don't tell Tim).

Phil and Karen


When Harry met Cubester on the moors (the boy did very well!). 21 miles ridden with 2,173 feet of ascent (max 20%-ish)... 🙂

RF-S-HC.jpg
 
You should see some of my earlier attempts at post processing. They looked like something out of a comic book. Just because the tool is in there doesn’t mean you have to use it.
I'll keep mine hidden, thx. :)

If trees are the angels of the forest, why shouldn't they have halos?
 
We have seals and sea lions all up and down the coast of the Pacific Northwest. They're very big, kinda ugly, and certainly loud. They genrally congregate on rocks and docks at a little distance from humans. Close enough to see them. Definately close enough to hear them. But not really close enough to photograph them.

I spent last week on the southern Oregon coast. I'd heard of a place where I might be able to get close. The Sea Lion Caves is a tourist attraction just north of Florence. (Look for their brochure in your hotel lobby.) My wife and daughter had been and said it's kinda creepy, kinda weird, but they saw sea lions. I figured, what the heck; dreams of sea lion portraits dancing in my head.

I went to their website. $18, but with this caveat: "We are not a zoo. The animals are free to come and go as they please, and sometimes they're here and sometimes they're not." The day I was there they were not. I was the 4th in line and the lady was telling the people up front, "There are 2 in the cave right now and we don't know if they'll still be there when you get down there." Alas, I turned around. No sea lion portraits today.

Later, when I was scoping out things to see in Newport, on the northern end of my trip, the map showed something called the Sea Lion Docks on the harbor in Yaquina Bay. Problem solved. I got my sea lion portraits and kept an extra $18 that I spent on a meal in the lovely Newport Historic Bayfront district.

LE_16-4242.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.

LE_16-4338.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.

LE_16-4410.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
LE_16-4384.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 

Latest reviews

  • Canon EOS R50
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Beginner's Camera, and a Very Good Enthusiasts Camera
    The R50 is a fine entry level/beginner/casual stills camera. It is not a pro level camera, but would be fine for hiking, street, family photos...
    • SwampGrizz
  • Canon EOS R6
    5.00 star(s)
    A nice camera specially if you want to save some money
    I bought the Canon R6 in 2024 to replace my Canon R7. After researching the market, I decided to go with the R6 instead of the R6 Mark II. Why not...
    • ctitanic
  • Prime Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Long Story Short Review
    10 years ago.....yes I said it was a long story! Canon sent me an EF 50mm f1.2 for a lens evaluation. On my 5D Mark III it was rather amazing. A...
    • GaryM
Back
Top