Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
John
City/State
Mansfield, UK
Hi all,

I'm returning to Canon after a long hiatus, but really loved some of the stuff back in the day, both Canon EF and third party, but as I dig I keep seeing snippets of information about compatibility, like the Sigma 150-500 or macro 105.

To that end I wondered if there was a site that covered not just Canon (as in the great resource here), but also third parties.

Ta

I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking because all EF mount lenses will mount to the RF bodies and function with the apparent exception of a few lenses on the R100. But I have also read that certain 3rd party lenses work poorly and especially some lenses that are not software updatable can’t be made to work well.

I don’t know that anyone is keeping a list of this, but if you look at lens sample image threads you will be able to see what works well and probably find some comments about cases that don’t work well. This site has a section for that but there aren’t many entries. FOP has a lot more but they are not specific to Canon RF so you’d have to dig through them a bit.

Maybe you will be the list maker that everyone in the future refers to! :)

Yeah, thats what I was hoping was out there somewhere, definitive list of what works and what doesn't, and what sort of works but with poor AF etc.

I'd seen the adapted stuff on here, very useful and stopped me getting back a Sigma macro, which was on my potential list and it now makes me wonder what other traps are out there.

To be fair, it may well be me - a simple google sheet with links to comments I've read - sadly I'm neither rich nor experienced enough to be a source of good information though.

Hi all,

I'm returning to Canon after a long hiatus, but really loved some of the stuff back in the day, both Canon EF and third party, but as I dig I keep seeing snippets of information about compatibility, like the Sigma 150-500 or macro 105.

To that end I wondered if there was a site that covered not just Canon (as in the great resource here), but also third parties.

Ta
Hi John
Most of all Canon EF lenses will work in your R6. That's the main reason why there is not such list. There are cases where the EF lenses may not work properly but mostly the canon ASP-C cameras such as the R7.

With Sigma and Tamron, I would recommend to search before you buy any. Most of the most new version works well. Old versions of the lens seems to be problematic sometimes.

Last edited:
I only have one Sigma lens, the 105mm F2.8 EX Macro DG OS HSM, and it works perfectly with my EOS R. From what I understand, other Sigma Contemporary and Sport as well as Art lenses that are compatible with the Sigma Dock can have their firmware updated via the Dock to make them compatible if they already aren't.

Tamron lenses are the same, if the lens can be used with a Tamron Dock, then its firmware can be updated if needed. Some Tamron lenses that aren't compatible with the Dock can also be sent back to Tamron for a firmware update. I did this with two old Tamron lenses, a 24-70 G1 lens as well as a 70-200 G1 lens. They both worked flawlessly with my R. Tamron has a list of RF adaptable lenses

I only have one Sigma lens, the 105mm F2.8 EX Macro DG OS HSM, and it works perfectly with my EOS R. From what I understand, other Sigma Contemporary and Sport as well as Art lenses that are compatible with the Sigma Dock can have their firmware updated via the Dock to make them compatible if they already aren't.
I also have that Sigma lens, and just did some testing with the R6 and R7. Bottom line: I like it, but it doesn't work properly on the R6.

Which is a real shame, I forget Steven, is that one than can have firmware updated?
I've read a bit since and it seems like Sigma and Tamron are updating to make things work.

I also have that Sigma lens, and just did some testing with the R6 and R7. Bottom line: I like it, but it doesn't work properly on the R6.

I am curious, is your lens the newer version with image stabilization (OS) or the older non stabilized version? In your other thread, the title does not have the OS in the lens model name.

The lens has OS.
I am lucky that my lens doesn't hunt focus at all on my EOS R. When I rented an R5 a while back, this lens seemed to work perfectly well on it as well. I guess Canon changed something with the R6 that doesn't like this lens. That is a shame because it is a nice macro lens.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back