Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Not buying a camera but reading how R8 compares to trusty RP.

A fair improvement but still etry level and good value in my opinion.

But reading some reviews you wonder if reviewers are using same camera.
Depends on lens used as well. So not all reviews are equal i guess.

Lots of bias it seems at times.

I upgraded from the RP to the R8 a couple of weeks ago. Essentially the same body, bar the video / stills switch where the on / off button was and the on / off / lock button moved to the right. Performace wise its a big upgrade in af, fps, electronic shutter, video capabilities, etc.
Still trying out the different af scenarios, but auto is very, very good. The high fps using the electronic shutter works well for me but a fast card is pretty much a must if you want to use 40fps because of the small buffer (got to get used to using very short bursts). First impressions on image quality is high ISO & DR is better, but I need to try it in more challenging situations (I had no issues with the RP's image quality).
Its a lot of camera for the money. Very pleased so far, especially as I got a decent trade-in for my RP on top of a cash-back deal that was on at the same time.

yeah guess my point some reviewers say "great bang for your buck" other "waste of time ad money step backwards" vested interest in lots of peer reviews. Prefer sites like this.

Sounds very condescending and snobbish but not my intention as a farmer who carries camera around in truck in sheep yards and various dusty situations my RP is my "knockabout" camera paired with 24/70 2.8 L eeeks lens worth a tad more than camera so be it and r6ii good camera

I tend to take reviews as a starting point only and not only for cameras. If I'd taken them literally I never would have bought the RP, which got many rubbish reviews & that's a great little camera, so long as you recognise it's limitations. The R8 fits in that same mould. It is a significant step up in performance from the RP, but still has some limitations (no IBIS, small buffer, etc). If those things are important then the R6ii would be a better fit (for an extra $1000), if not then it's a great buy. There is a lot to be said for a small, lightweight, low cost, simple camera (like the RP and to a lesser extent the R8). I travelled the world with a Canon T50, the RP of it's day (think of a digital camera permanantly in Av mode with a fixed ISO and a work-around cheat for exposure compensation). Knocked it around, used it in all sorts of conditions and it kept on giving me great results for 10+ years.

exactly RP R8 great cameras my lightning photography is no better or worse on RP than R6ii love em both

had no drama yet be great if RP was more weather sealed/resistant

I've never taken lightning photos. Something I want to try. I live in Indonesia, so no shortage of lightning during the wet season, just hann't got around to givibg it a go.

I would think the upgraded sensor and AF would be worth it alone. And the R8 has much improved dynamic range.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back