Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Gerald Herd
City/State
Panama City/Fl
This post is just for general info and reference.

There has been some disappointment in the R6 having only a 20 MP sensor, and this leads eventually into a wide range of discussions of such topics as how many MP do you need, whether you're better off with using a Teleconverter or cropping, whether the extra 'reach' you get from a crop sensor body is valuable for wildlife, etc. Since my three camera bodies (R6, 5D3, and 7D2) in use are all nominally 20 megapixels, I tried a comparison. For the 7D Mk 2 and the R6, tripod mounted, and a 100-400L II and an EF-S 55-250 zoomed all the way out I took a few shots for field of view and for image quality (mainly detail captured).

For the 7D2 with its 1.6X crop factor, a lens at 400mm should give the same view as a 640mm lens on a full frame, and a 55-250mm lens zoomed all the way to 250 should give the same view as a 400mm. On the R6, 400mm focal length should have the same framing as the 7D2 at 250mm. The R6 will accept EF-S lenses, but only uses the central part of the sensor.

One set of composite images shows the scene and framing captured. The other set shows the feature I tried focusing on. No adjustments were made for noise reduction, contrast, etc.

Attachments

• r6_7D2_ReachComparison.jpg
    r6_7D2_ReachComparison.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 48
  • R6-7D2_detailComparison.jpg
    R6-7D2_detailComparison.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 55

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back