Canon R5 Canon R5 Firmware Update v1.8.1

RDM5546

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Roger
Did the download and install. I am now playing with it to see the changes. The is a new manual upgrade too. I download that as well. There is also a new version of DPP to go along with it.

Hi Roger,

Look forward to hearing what you think about the changes (I've downloaded it but not had chance to install it yet). Thanks for the tips about the Manual and DPP too!

Phil

For the the features I want this major upgrade is pretty lacking. The new 400MP mode seems to be the major feature change. I will take some time to evaluate that. I hoping for more choice in FPS for ES and I was hoping for no 30minute timer. No mention of either of those in manual.

I had to take off my third party grip to get the firmware upgrade to load properly. I have run into that before but it was a little time I was worried when wasn't loading that remembered my grip must be off for firmware updates.

I'm still deliberating whether to install this one immediately (I may wait a while to check there's no bug reports).

I'm also presuming my pet wish (Zebras for stills) is still being worked on by the Canon Tech Team?... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Phil

All I can see that is different is the high res bit?

Although the long wait before it starts the update is a bit unnerving. I can't remember there being that sort of delay when updating my EOS 7D2 or 5D3?
Same with the R6 a very long pause before the update starts.

Interestingly when I have tried to update the R5 with a previous version of firmware on the card it failed. This time it didn't and showed not only the new firmware but the previous firmware on the card like the R6 has always done before? I use EOS Utility to download the firmware to the card, just make life easy for me.

Hi Phil,

I always update via the SD card procedure (following the instructions to the letter - honestly Canon!).

I particularly relish the lifetime of growing anxiety waiting for the progress bar to begin updating... :D

I haven't updated yet this time, but I gather the high res (jpg only) function is the major addition.

Phil

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back