Canon R5 Canon R5 Firmware Update v1.8.1

RDM5546

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Roger
Did the download and install. I am now playing with it to see the changes. The is a new manual upgrade too. I download that as well. There is also a new version of DPP to go along with it.

The annoying thing is that I've done the same thing for every update but it's just not working this time. The message that my newly-formatted SD card still has pre-1.6.0 files/software on it is unsettling.

Well, if you want to get "technical".... about Zebra stripes😂 Thank you for keeping me honest.
I did notice that 1.8.1 is available at Canon USA, however 1.7.0 is still Recommended. You need to scroll to the bottom for 1.8.1

UPDATE: However, once you find the firmware and download it, then 1.8.1 bounces back to the top as is Recommended.

Last edited:
The annoying thing is that I've done the same thing for every update but it's just not working this time. The message that my newly-formatted SD card still has pre-1.6.0 files/software on it is unsettling.
And your CFe card is empty as well?

Hi Ian,

Sorry your update woes continue - I've not experienced this myself and it does sound odd.

Did you format the SD card in camera (maybe try a deep format, or a different SD card?), remove the lens and put the camera into 'P' Mode (as per the update instructions - hand on heart, I don't always do this last bit myself either).

If neither of this works with the *.FIR file placed in the root of the SD card, then I'm stumped.

Phil

Hi Ian,

Sorry your update woes continue - I've not experienced this myself and it does sound odd.

Did you format the SD card in camera (maybe try a deep format, or a different SD card?), remove the lens and put the camera into 'P' Mode (as per the update instructions - hand on heart, I don't always do this last bit myself either).

If neither of this works with the *.FIR file placed in the root of the SD card, then I'm stumped.

Phil
I have done all of those things, BUT I have removed the second, CFe, card, and I now get a slightly different error messge. That card has the older versions on it I now see, so that may have been the issue - the firmware is updating via the CFe card now that I have removed all the old versions from that card. This never happened with previous updates, which is why I hadn't considered the CFe card. I was fixated on it being done via the SD card and hadn't considered the CFe card as the culprit! It was 'Koenkooi' member who raised the CFe card point - many thanks, and many thanks to all who have tried to help with this issue - much appreciated!

Hi Ian,

I didn’t even realise you could use the CFe card for f/w updates, but it seems the camera may look at both? Interesting.

Well done Koenkool - something to note for the future in case others run into this issue. :)

Phil

I have now tried the new 400mp feature on my R5 and am sorely disappointed. A tripod-mounted shot of the garden had vast amounts of artefacts that actually make the shot less usable than a standard RAW 45mp shot! I think the amount of care and preparation needed for the IBIS high-res. stuff will mean it is all-but-pointless for almost all users. I am open to being convinced but I think Canon have over-reached here and their reputation may suffer as a result. I'll be interested to see what others think.

An important takeaway from all this is: Follow Instructions.
When updating your firmware remember a very important step:

"This completes the firmware update. Please initialize the card before use."

An important takeaway from all this is: Follow Instructions.
When updating your firmware remember a very important step:

"This completes the firmware update. Please initialize the card before use."
Indeed, and I had followed the instructions to the letter - just not for the second/CFe card! BTW, I didn't initialise (format?) the CFe before using it after the firmware update and it works fine as it is.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back