Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So what features would people like to see added to the R5 either via firmware update or a new R5 Mark II. Obviously one needs to be realistic about what's possible to add via firmware, there certainly won't be an increase in megapixels. Thanks to @Greg for suggesting this thread.

Thanks for the mention Timothy.

I cannot take all the credit, there was a short discussion not long ago on the forum, not been able to find the posts. When someone mention the lack of sound when using the e-shutter that gave me the momentum to ask for a Wish List slot in the forum.

A few days ago I tested my new CF card and my R5 20 fps feature. There was not hint you had pressed the release except a slight flicker in the viewfinder. I think I detect a very feint sound but no where near loud enough to attract your attention.

On behalf of myself, another, and probably everyone using the e-shutter, please can we have a sound when using it.

Last edited:
an easier way to go back and forth between video and photos ... my 70D and my 6D both had a manual switch my R5 its in a menu ... took my 10 minutes on google to figure out how to switch back to photo .... maybe some one else knows an easy way currently

an easier way to go back and forth between video and photos ... my 70D and my 6D both had a manual switch my R5 its in a menu ... took my 10 minutes on google to figure out how to switch back to photo .... maybe some one else knows an easy way currently
Just hit mode then info. Also if you set up your custom shooting modes the red record button instantly starts recording with those setting when in stills mode.

You can set up a custom button to do that. I have the M-Fn button set to toggle between photo & video.

Today I was playing with my upgrade from M100 to M6. There is a feature on the M6 I have not seen before. It's a sort of spirit level on 2 axes. The easiest way to describe it is, Pitch and Roll. I want it
EDIT:
It's called an electronic spirit level on an M6

Last edited:
So what features would people like to see added to the R5 either via firmware update or a new R5 Mark II. Obviously one needs to be realistic about what's possible to add via firmware, there certainly won't be an increase in megapixels. Thanks to @Greg for suggesting this thread.
Focus peaking when you use the focus ring when in auto as well as when in manual focus.

Being able to choose auditory feedback with the electronic shutter.

Variable speed turbo. 20 fps is sometimes too fast, other times less would be enough.

Variable speed would also benefit those with old slow memory cards

Today I was playing with my upgrade from M100 to M6. There is a feature on the M6 I have not seen before. It's a sort of spirit level on 2 axes. The easiest way to describe it is, Pitch and Roll. I want it
EDIT:
It's called an electronic spirit level on an M6
Greg - the R5 already has a level, it's not the same display style as on the M6 (The EOS R uses the same display style as the M6 though). You set it up through the Shoot7 menu Shooting info. disp. options and then when shooting you can use the info button to cycle through the different screen configs to display it.

Greg - the R5 already has a level, it's not the same display style as on the M6 (The EOS R uses the same display style as the M6 though). You set it up through the Shoot7 menu Shooting info. disp. options and then when shooting you can use the info button to cycle through the different screen configs to display it.
Thanks for the information. I'll try it later.

need an additional AF point...a larger zone (entire sensor) for birds in flight...

Tim
I would love to have the user defined Quick Menu screen as in the 5D iv. I found this was brilliant for quickly checking and changing the shooting parameters that I used a lot as they were all in one place.

That exists. I have a view that includes all the settings that have been selected. It rotates on my settings with other views. I'll explain later how to get at it when I have the camera with me

That exists. I have a view that includes all the settings that have been selected. It rotates on my settings with other views. I'll explain later how to get at it when I have the camera with me
I'd be really interested in seeing how this is done. I use My Menu but have run out of space. I mainly take photos.

I'd be really interested in seeing how this is done. I use My Menu but have run out of space. I mainly take photos.
Put the camera on P, as an example.
Press MENU
Refer to page 263 in the Advanced Users Guide
On one of the 6 different screen views it is possible to set the Quick view
Close all the menu
Press the info button to scroll through the screen views you have just set.
Somewhere it is possible to set what you see in the Quick View which is one of the screen views
With 919 pages in the guide you will find all the permutations, even though the guide is not particularly friendly.

I'd like a faster start up from turning the camera on or waking it up to the time it actually takes a photo. It was instantaneous on my previous DSLR's but I have lost quite a few shots with the R5 in what seems an age before it's ready to shoot. You could programme the camera to stay awake all the time but battery drain is a consideration and I would think it could be fixed with a firmware update.
I'd also like to see the auto focus working better for those confused backgrounds, small bird in a bush scenarios. Again my DSLRs never had the problem of locking focus using single point but the R5 does.
I love the silent electronic shutter but it would be nice to control the number of shots it takes, and for those that want it although I'm not sure why, the ability to make a sound when firing the camera could be an easy fix. I believe Sony have it in their cameras.
Other than that, the obvious would be better high ISO performance with less noise but overall I think the R5 is an outstanding camera for the money.

I'd like a faster start up from turning the camera on or waking it up to the time it actually takes a photo. It was instantaneous on my previous DSLR's but I have lost quite a few shots with the R5 in what seems an age before it's ready to shoot. You could programme the camera to stay awake all the time but battery drain is a consideration and I would think it could be fixed with a firmware update.
I'd also like to see the auto focus working better for those confused backgrounds, small bird in a bush scenarios. Again my DSLRs never had the problem of locking focus using single point but the R5 does.
I love the silent electronic shutter but it would be nice to control the number of shots it takes, and for those that want it although I'm not sure why, the ability to make a sound when firing the camera could be an easy fix. I believe Sony have it in their cameras.
Other than that, the obvious would be better high ISO performance with less noise but overall I think the R5 is an outstanding camera for the money.
No issues with start up on my R5, either from cold or from standby. A significant factor in the start up time is getting the file system going on the memory cards. I use Angelbird cf express cards and they updated their on-card firmware which made a huge difference to start up from 4 or 5 seconds to less than a second. May be worth investigating?

No issues with start up on my R5, either from cold or from standby. A significant factor in the start up time is getting the file system going on the memory cards. I use Angelbird cf express cards and they updated their on-card firmware which made a huge difference to start up from 4 or 5 seconds to less than a second. May be worth investigating?
Can the memory card have any effect on start up time? It's surely the camera itself that takes time to allow autofocus to work before you can take a shot?

I have a TOUGH CFexpress 128gb. No problems with start up. Seems the R5 needs a very fast card.

When I researched for my card it cannot be relied that the same card performed the same for different capacities. The TOUGH 64gb card was slower.

I cannot be sure of the facts, the bigger card has more faster short term memory compared to the smaller card. I think I have that info correct
Can the memory card have any effect on start up time? It's surely the camera itself that takes time to allow autofocus to work before you can take a shot?
You are probably correct. Read/write times are effected by the speed of the card. Experiment starting up with and without the card inserted see what happens

Yes it does. The card has it's own operating/file system that has to be initialised, and this can take some time if not optimised. As I mentioned Angelbird CF Express cards had a poor start-up time in the C5 initially and they changed their firmware on their cards (not the camera firmware) and this made a major change to file system initialisation and therefore camera start-up. Other CF Express cards may have similar performance impact on camera start-up times and so it is worth checking if there are any other manufactures provide card firmware (not camera) updates to improve this. Or, if you have the chance, try with different CF Express brands - to see if there is any difference in start-up.

I have tested this myself and can assure you that the Angelbird firmware update made a huge difference in the camera start-up time, and it was one of the deciding factors in selecting Angelbird CF Express cards for my R5.

This has nothing to do with the stated read/write performance of the card.

Here's an article as reference (there are others too): https://camnostic.com/2021/01/angelbird-cfexpress-cards-first-to-get-user-firmware-upgrade/

Last edited:
This post I wrote should help you with choosing a card.

Hmm, interesting. I have couple non-branded cards which I believe is either Angelbird or Delkin. Both of them perform perfectly fine until 33% full. I can easily write 8k recording or hold down high-speed shooting for long periods. But then it hits 33% on the card (they are different sizes), the write speed drops to almost zero. It can still write, but painfully slow. Formatting card gets it back to full speed.

Both Angelbird and Delkin seem to have FW update to fix their write speed problems, but I can't see how I can do the FW update myself.

You learn something new everyday! Interesting facts about memory cards for sure.
I have just the one CFExpress card, a Sony Tough 128gb and I have been more than happy with the write speeds and it would be a rare event for me to keep my finger on the trigger for more than a second or two and so the camera stalling has yet to happen for me. On the contrary, using electronic shutter because it's silent often means I'm having to delete perfectly good images as they are duplicated. It can become a tiresome business and hence I would like the ability to limit the fps speed in electronic or any other silent mode that might be introduced.

Back to start up times. I read the above linked article with interest and they state the camera is slower when you have just formatted the card too...something I do after every download so maybe take a couple of shots to get over that one. However, in playing around it seems to me the biggest difference in start up time appears to be when the rear LCD screen is open, something I have a preference for...or did!
Looking through the EVF with the rear screen shut the speed of start up to acquiring a focus point was almost instant it seemed.It should also help considerably with power saving too.

I would like to be able to record (for stills) RAW on Card 1 (CF Express) and cRAW on Card 2 (SD) when recording to both cards. Yeah, I know, it's a processor issue.

Adjustable volume and selectable shutter sound for the electronic shutter as previously mentioned. I think the New Nicon offers this sound on E shutter. I would also like to see Canon solve the Electronic shutter and flash issue. This may have to wait for a global shutter but if anything can be done to the R5 it should be done. JMHO

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back