Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mark Seymour
City/State
Rutland
So i am considering investing in a Carbon Fibre Monopod, question is which head would you pair with it? So many to choose from, dont want a big bulky one as that would negate the lightweight monopod.

My first question would be why do you want to have a head on a Monopod? I shot sports for years with a monopod and never had a head on it, and never wanted one. I have a head on my monopod now, but that is because I sometimes like to use it with bird photography.

Here is the one I use: Manfrotto 234RC. It is relatively cheap and works well enough for me. I use Peak Design Dual Plates which can work with both the Manfrotto monopod head as well as with my ArcaSwiss head that is on my tripod.

There are lots of other monopod heads that might be better suited for your use, but we would need more info to make a suggestion.

Which head would depend on what you are going to attach to the head. The weight of the heaviest body/lens/flash combination. Also what is your budget?

I do not use Monopods, but I do have a two tripods from 3-Legged Thing and I have been pleased with the quality. So, if I was in the market for a monopod I would look there first.

3-Legged Thing Monopods

So i am considering investing in a Carbon Fibre Monopod, question is which head would you pair with it? So many to choose from, dont want a big bulky one as that would negate the lightweight monopod.
I have Manfrotto and also Neewer heads. The Neewer heads work surprisingly well and are cheap!

Interesting question - I've never considered using a head on my monopod. For the subjects that I sometimes use it with (motor sports & animals/birds) I find that the movement available with the support having only a single leg is sufficient for my needs.

Thanks for feedback, hadnt considered not adding a head, but makes perfect sense. So does anyone know if Manfrotto to a plain plate to make mounting onto the monopod easy?

I just screw my Manfrotto monopod into the camera base, it doesn't take long. Have you tried looking at the Manfrotto website for options?

Here is the one I use: Manfrotto 234RC. It is relatively cheap and works well enough for me. I use Peak Design Dual Plates which can work with both the Manfrotto monopod head as well as with my ArcaSwiss head that is on my tripod.
Thanks for that, i looked it up and this looks like the perfect solution. So i will order one when i order the monopod.

I use a Sirui L-10 tilt head with an Arca Swiss clamp on a Feisol cf monopod.

Last edited:
Had a look at the Manfrotto 234RC following Bryan’s recommendation. I’ve just bought a pristine secondhand one from Wex. Not sure I really need it, but seemed a worthwhile investment to experiment with for the price (<£20).

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back