Hi from Reno, NV

TMac99

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tracey
I am new to this photography thing. Now retired, and going stir crazy from Covid life, I was in search of a new hobby. I traded in my old T2i and picked p an R6 - that thing can make a photographer out of just about anybody. I am really enjoying it so far. Just took my first Milky Way photo yesterday, and have taken a few wildlife/bird photos also. Very happy with the results so far. So far I have the "kit" Rf 24 - 105 F4 , just picked up an RF 15 - 35 F2.8, and have the RF 24-240 zoom also.
Ft Churchill Milky Way.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 20 sec
  • ISO 3200

welcome, tracey.

lovely astro photo - i've never tried that type of image, but this is creating a temptation.

welcome, tracey.

lovely astro photo - i've never tried that type of image, but this is creating a temptation.
I was lucky enough to stumble across a free online training course (total of 3 hours) about capturing the Milky Way. A photog holds the course once or twice a year in order to get interest in her paid MW training. I'd be happy to share the tips I received. It basically boils down to 2 things - an approximation of the right camera settings to use (a good starting point that needs to be adjusted for your individual equipment) , and the software tools necessary to make sure you can find the Milky Way in the sky :) I found that the low light performance of the R6 is great for astro - compared to others in the training, the noise levels in my photos was minuscule and really allowed the stars to pop.

Welcome Tracey and thank you for joining up here. Lovely shot of the Milky Way! Glad to hear and see that you are already putting your R6 through its paces! :)

Welcome Tracey and thank you for joining up here. Lovely shot of the Milky Way! Glad to hear and see that you are already putting your R6 through its paces! :)
Thanks Timothy - that's for your efforts in setting up this great site. I really love the interface - way nicer than other forums I am a part of. I especially appreciate that image EXIF data appears aotumagically :cool:

Thanks Timothy - that's for your efforts in setting up this great site. I really love the interface - way nicer than other forums I am a part of. I especially appreciate that image EXIF data appears aotumagically :cool:
Glad to hear that you like the layout here Tracey! I like to see the EXIF too :) So this was one featured that I really wanted implemented early on. It will obviously only display if the EXIF hasn't been removed from the image.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back