General Full-Frame Is The Artic Butterfly Safe For R5 and R7?

Ed Cordes

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ed Cordes
City/State
Corning, NY
In my DSLR days I routinely cleaned my sensor with the Artic Butterfly. Our R5 and R7 seem to get a lot less dust and the built in cleaning cycle seems to do a good job. However, if we do get dust that hangs around is it safe to use the Artic Butterfly on the sensor?

It's not so much the sensor that's changed as what's between it and the lens, so I'd assume anything that worked on a DSLR will work equally well on mirrorless.

I haven't had to clean my sensor since they introduced the in camera sensor cleaning to Canon bodies and I regularly do all the things you shouldn't like taking a lens off without turning the camera off, changing lenses outdoors etc etc. I used to have an Artic Butterfly and my fear was that it could deposit unwanted debris, especially oil, then smear it on the sensor. An occasional puff of air inside the camera will dislodge deposits that might then fall out provided the camera is held face down is my preferred treatment for cleaning.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back