JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
What is your preference with in camera lens correction when shooting RAW- disable or enable?

I use Topaz and Luminar Neo for my post and Topaz does lens correction automatically. Interested to hear opinions. Leave it on, or turn it off?

I leave it on, mostly because I shoot CRaw on one card and jpeg on the other. I scan my jpegs first and if they are not acceptable I then get the CRaw file
and make adjustments through lightroom and photoshop. I do find the jpegs acceptable most of the time, which I still am pleasantly surprised by.

I agree with that. If I’m in a hurry Canon jpegs normally come out fairly well. I hear some folks say turn it off because you can correct it in post, but if you’re going to correct it in post why not correct it in camera and decrease the post workflow?

I turn it off simply because I only shoot RAW and there is very rarely a shot I chose that doesn't need some post. As a wildlife shooter just about every shot needs something (crop, WB, NR, sharpen, Highlights and shadows, and often resize due to crop.
Male Cardinal in tree.jpg
)

I turn off all in camera settings. I don’t when the camera applies it but I don’t want anything interfering with buffer speeds. Lens Corrections probably has no effect but I don’t know for sure. You can definitely see it when allying high ISO noise reduction.

You can definitely see it when allying high ISO noise reduction.

Do mean slower buffer speed when the camera is applying high ISO NR and lens correction?

Is another benefit to turning off lens correction a smaller in-camera file size?

I take the same approach as Gary M - shoot jpg on one card and RAW on the other - and hence leave lens correction on.

Do mean slower buffer speed when the camera is applying high ISO NR and lens correction?

Is another benefit to turning off lens correction a smaller in-camera file size?
Yes. I'm not sure fi it affects the file size but since the file is processed it sound s logical.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back