Lightroom Classic Imports

I want to add two points to Only RF's sage counsel. First, watch the video and, like Only RF says, take the time right away to figure out your file strategy. It is painful to switch later down the road. Second, remember to have a backup strategy for your raw files. Lightroom will keep track of file info, meta-data, and edit history, but it you can't go back to 2015 (for example, or any other older imports) and redo edits without the original raw file.
Good points. I should have said that importing files (which does not create a new set of files) has two functions. 1st it reads the files metadata, adds that to the catalogue database and builds previews. 2nd so it knows where the files are located. The user has complete control of where to import from and where to import to. Observe the upper left and right had corners of the import window.

I keep my files on an external drive that is backed daily up to another external drive using CCC. The LR folder that contains the catalogue is on my HD. I use a Mac so by default it places it in Pictures. Don't know about Windows. That location is where LrC backs up the catalogue to as well. My HD is backed up to a 3rd drive using Mac's Time Machine.

Here is the Catalogue and backup folder which LrC creates. The rest is LrC stuff I don't worry about. The circled item is a personal folder.

Screenshot-2024-01-15-at-3.09.20 PM.jpg

When you exit LrC make sure these two boxes are checked.

Screenshot-2024-01-15-at-3.09.54 PM.jpg

You can also instruct lightroom to stack the original CR3 with the DNG/TIFF/whatever you get from external tools. I put the edited version on top of the stack to keep the gallery view decluttered.
In the stacking menu you have an option to automatically stack by date, I used that when I imported a years worth of CR3 when I had the edited TIFFs (from DPP4) already in the catalog.

You can also instruct lightroom to stack the original CR3 with the DNG/TIFF/whatever you get from external tools. I put the edited version on top of the stack to keep the gallery view decluttered.
In the stacking menu you have an option to automatically stack by date, I used that when I imported a years worth of CR3 when I had the edited TIFFs (from DPP4) already in the catalog.
That's a great idea...thanks.

The link below is to a photo that I edited this past weekend based on the posts in this thread. I wanted to share this photo because I am particularly pleased with the result of Enhance. Unfortunately, I did not carefully track my workflow steps or options, and I deleted all the generated intermediate files from disk. I just wasn't expected to be this pleased with the result compared to the original.

The key info is that first, I used DxO DeepPrime to denoise with the option selected to open the resulting .DNG in Lightroom Classic. Denoise wasn't really necessary, but I've downloaded the trial DxO PureRaw 3 and I'm putting it through its paces. In Lightroom CC, I did all my normal edits. My last step - other than adding a vignette - was to use the menu option Photo -> Enhance, then exported the jpeg.

I had previously exported the jpeg without enhancing. That file size was about 2.8MB. There is a heavy crop on the original. After enhance, the file size of the exported jpeg grew to about 7MB. Unfortunately, I chose the option to overwrite the existing export file.

Hoverfly on Daisy I posted the link instead of upload the photo to bypass the downscaling on uploading photos.

P.S. From LCC, I also edited in PS Beta and generative AI to remove a piece of something from the center disk of the Daisy. PS did a great job. I can't even notice it. It was around 5:30 near the edge of the disc.

Last edited:
The link below is to a photo that I edited this past weekend based on the posts in this thread. I wanted to share this photo because I am particularly pleased with the result of Enhance. Unfortunately, I did not carefully track my workflow steps or options, and I deleted all the generated intermediate files from disk. I just wasn't expected to be this pleased with the result compared to the original.

The key info is that first, I used DxO DeepPrime to denoise with the option selected to open the resulting .DNG in Lightroom Classic. Denoise wasn't really necessary, but I've downloaded the trial DxO PureRaw 3 and I'm putting it through its paces. In Lightroom CC, I did all my normal edits. My last step - other than adding a vignette - was to use the menu option Photo -> Enhance, then exported the jpeg.

I had previously exported the jpeg without enhancing. That file size was about 2.8MB. There is a heavy crop on the original. After enhance, the file size of the exported jpeg grew to about 7MB. Unfortunately, I chose the option to overwrite the existing export file.

Hoverfly on Daisy I posted the link instead of upload the photo to bypass the downscaling on uploading photos.

P.S. From LCC, I also edited in PS Beta and generative AI to remove a piece of something from the center disk of the Daisy. PS did a great job. I can't even notice it. It was around 5:30 near the edge of the disc.
Did you purchase PureRaw 3?

Did you purchase PureRaw 3?
Still doing the trial and undecided. The difference is hard to tell for me. So, I don't know if it is worth it. I think the bigger difference is Supersizing the photo, but you you have to convert to another file type if you denoise too.
  • Open in Lightroom CC
  • Export to DxO PureRaw 3, denoise with DeepPRIME (XD) and save back to LRC
  • Edit in Photoshop to remove some twigs and save back to LCC at a TIFF
  • Apply normal edits
  • Photo>Enhance>Supersize
  • Export to jpeg

Still doing the trial and undecided. The difference is hard to tell for me. So, I don't know if it is worth it. I think the bigger difference is Supersizing the photo, but you you have to convert to another file type if you denoise too.
  • Open in Lightroom CC
  • Export to DxO PureRaw 3, denoise with DeepPRIME (XD) and save back to LRC
  • Edit in Photoshop to remove some twigs and save back to LCC at a TIFF
  • Apply normal edits
  • Photo>Enhance>Supersize
  • Export to jpeg
I'd wait. PureRaw upgrade cycle is March to March. PureRaw 4 will be released in March. Last year PureRaw 3 was released on the 15th but I can't say for sure it will be the same day this year. If you purchase within 30 days of the upgrade you will get it. One day out and you won't so you will have to pay to get the upgrade. Some say you can use the trial as an overlap but based on when you started I don't think that will work for you.

I'd wait. PureRaw upgrade cycle is March to March. PureRaw 4 will be released in March. Last year PureRaw 3 was released on the 15th but I can't say for sure it will be the same day this year. If you purchase within 30 days of the upgrade you will get it. One day out and you won't so you will have to pay to get the upgrade. Some say you can use the trial as an overlap but based on when you started I don't think that will work for you.
Yes you should wait. I can't tell you how I know, but PR4 will be a big update from PR3.

Yes you should wait. I can't tell you how I know, but PR4 will be a big update from PR3.
Thanks to you both of you for the heads up. Much appreciated.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back