Moon with RF800

Genepaul

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
New lens day, RF800 turned up but was dark by the time I got home from work so had to be a moon shot to try it out.
AA06A0CC-B4CD-4621-A296-E7C5AA6B9A0F.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 55922/44737601 sec
  • ISO 3200

Terrific shot, very detailed and clear. How are you finding the AF with the 800mm lens on other subjects, is it fast enough for tracking birds etc. I was thinking about getting one but ended up getting a RF 100-500 L IS and 1.4x converter instead. I haven't been able to get out and try it much due to the lockdown so really looking forward to giving it a go.

Terrific shot, very detailed and clear. How are you finding the AF with the 800mm lens on other subjects, is it fast enough for tracking birds etc. I was thinking about getting one but ended up getting a RF 100-500 L IS and 1.4x converter instead. I haven't been able to get out and try it much due to the lockdown so really looking forward to giving it a go.
Hi, only got it Monday and have been at work all week so a moon shot is as good as it gets at the moment, hopefully get some time at the weekend to play a little more, I debated the 100-500 but have a 100 - 400 and 1.4 extender that I’m happy with so went for the extra reach, I’m sure tracking a BIF at 800 is going to be a challenge

I've been really curious to see what sort of results these lenses get with DSO photography. I'd love to see someone try for a nebula or galaxy on a star tracker with one of these.

I've been wanting to do more astro, but honestly I'm not interested in buying scopes and all that. I've bought a decent quality star tracker, and would definitely consider the RF 600 or 800 if it was half decent for deep space objects, since I could use it for multiple purposes, unlike a scope.

Took these last night of the Pink Moon as a clear sky. Glad I did not leave until tonight as it is cloudy. RF 800 both hand held, LH at 400th and (RH) at 800th for comparison.

K5R_0230_DxO.jpg K5R_0234_DxO.jpg

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back