Photography Challenge - Black & White

This is Hannah and the shot is "Daydreamer"
Daydreamer-2055.jpg

R5 RF24-105 F4 L IS USM@94mm f/9 1/200s ISO200​

A true dreamlike photo, but....

The white scratch line on her right wrist leaning into the background is a bit distracting. That's being said, it is much better than any portrait I gave ever taken. 👍

A true dreamlike photo, but....

The white scratch line on her right wrist leaning into the background is a bit distracting. That's being said, it is much better than any portrait I gave ever taken. 👍
Well that just goes to show that you can stare at your shot for ages and still not see everything. Not only have I been looking at this through several Photoshop sessions, but I have printed it at A3+ and mounted it for competition, and I never saw the white mark (it did well in competition and the judge didn't notice the mark either). It originates in one of the texture layers that I used to get the surrounding texture and is trivially easy to remove. Doh! Thanks for the heads-up (and the the thumbs up).

It is always harder to find little things like that when you are viewing your own work. Still a great photo.

Inspired by PKM_UK's forest shots posted elsewhere, and by some of the very nice b&w work in this thread, here's a couple of images from NZ's famous Milford Track, taken when we walked it a couple of years back. This is a rainforest area - annual rainfall approaches 10 *metres*, but it was sunny most of the time we spent on the track - excrpt for the day we crossed the McKinnon pass, which would have been 360º vistas at the top if it hadn't been 360º cloud.

In some respects, the myriad shades of green are what the place is all about - that, and the literally awesome landscape - but simplifying to b&w brings out other aspects - the shapes and the textures which otherwise might be missed. To me, they're reminiscent of Japanese lithographs, especially the second one.

These are not fixed visions. Every time I look at them after a few days or months, I can't resist tweaking. And sometimes I prefer the colour versions... ;-)

Milfordb&w-3342.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF35mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.5
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 200
Milfordb&w-3344.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF35mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
The Raven
Taken in Vienna's Central Cemetery
Nice image - I like the vertical lines of the headstones and the bird is in a good place in the frame. But are you sure it's raven? Could it be a rook?

So I'm going to post three images taken during a live re-enactment of steam ploughing as it was done back in the late 19th century. The way this works is that there are two traction engines, one on either side of the field and each pulls the plough across the field in turn. The plough is actively steered by the people sitting on it. The traction engine drivers signal to each other by steam whistle, but also visually.

First the plough:
Steam-1557.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 200

Now the traction engine driver signalling to the other engine driver "pull!"
Steam-1748.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 100

Finally an overall view of engine and plough, with driver peering across the field for a signal from the other engine driver:
Steam-5822.jpg

Canon R6 RF24-105 F4 L IS USM 24mm f/9 1/320sec ISO200

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back