Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
John
City/State
Mansfield, UK
Just a quick question and I'm guessing the answer is no, or its on the R8 / R6 II.

Is there a way to make the camera automatically swap between person/animal etc - or is the a manual things, hoping not, but guessing if it is then shortcut buttons may be the way?

Solution
To clarify, the Auto option is on the R6 Mark II, in the Mark I you do not have that option. That said, if you have the option set to Animals, the AF will try to locate an animal and from there to detect the eyes. If you are taking a picture of a person, once an animal was not found (other than the person), the AF will detect the person and then the eyes. In another words, the detection is more like a priority but it does not exclude any subject.

I think that while in the R6 Mark II it works based on the priority given, in the Mark II, if you select auto the priority is eliminated and all options will be treated with the same weight.
Dual BBF is great method. I put AF back to the shutter and adopted triple BBF. I found this video after I made the change. I'm set up a little different than he us. I only use the AF-ON to toggle a manual AF mode to override Eye Detect. I also use Preview AF which really helps. If I lift shutter button higher than past half way AF stops but AF Preview kicks and the system continues to AF and track.

Just a different approach. I know he spelt Dog wrong :)

I also use Preview AF which really helps. If I lift shutter button higher than past half way AF stops but AF Preview kicks and the system continues to AF and track.
That's the problem with Canon. Preview AF is present in the R7 and R6 Mark II but it's not present in the R6 Mark I. It's an option in most recent cameras and I do not see why is not implemented in the old cameras in a firmware update.

It's available with the R5 but it is not called Preview AF. It is a leftover from the DRLS's. Initial AF on page 5 of the menus.

With a DLSR it worked this way. You can selected a single point and place anywhere in the VF. I kept it the middle. You use that for initial AF. You have to physically move the camera to get it on your subject. Or if you placed it to one side it activated when the subject entered the area. When AF initiated it dropped out of being the initial AF point and became part of the AF array. Like the rest of the AF points it would flicker on and off tracking your subject. It would only re-appear when AF stopped and the cycle repeated.

For mirrorless Canon adapted it to how the Preview AF worked but it was still called Initial AF point. With the newer bodies like the R6II, R7, R3 and latest I presume Canon dropped that menu, moved and renamed it.

I don't know if the R6 has that menu on page 5? I'm guessing not.

Thanks all, I didn't get to checking the options on page 5 (sorry), but did a bit more testing tonight and found that:

On people AF it would not eye focus on my pets, no matter what or how patient I was.
On animal AF it would work almost as quickly on a person.

Thanks all, I didn't get to checking the options on page 5 (sorry), but did a bit more testing tonight and found that:

On people AF it would not eye focus on my pets, no matter what or how patient I was.
Makes sense, after all… We are animals! :LOL:

That was exactly what I found when I accidentally left it on people.

It is an odd result, left me wondering if I put it on vehicles if it would work on pets and people too 🤣

As an aside, the eye detection system can be surprising sometimes - it doesn't always require a live animal. Attached is a screen shot of an image crop from DPP4 showing the focus point chosen on the front of a steam engine (R6 Mk2, eye detect set to animal).

EA6A2841-focus point.jpg

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back