General Full-Frame Do you use Fv?

BasilFawlty

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ψ
I’ve seen a lot of discussions on other forums about Fv mode on Canon R-cameras. Some people seem to dismiss it as a gimmick and a “solution” in search of a problem. For the longest time, I pretty much ignored Fv mode, but recently have been playing with it and find it can be quite useful.

For general walking around town shooting, I tend to prefer Av mode, but I now have my C1 programmed for wild life, with triple back button focus, and Fv mode. I will admit that at first I thought it was kinda gimmicky, but have since come to realize it is really just a very convenient way to quickly change from Aperture priority to Shutter Priority, or ISO auto or ISO specific, or even full manual. Most of the time, I prefer Av mode, but when I’m shooting birds and wildlife at the Bosque, for example, I like to be able to quickly change modes without needing to remove my eye from the view finder. Yes, there are other ways to change modes, but the Fv mode really just makes for a faster, easier way to switch between modes to account for quickly changing scenarios. And a short press of the trash can will reset back to auto, whatever setting your have selected (Av, Tv, Ex Comp, ISO) while a longer press of the trash icon will reset all items back to auto.

It does take some getting used to, but once I figured it out, I’ve found it to be very useful in certain situations. Just curious if other use Fv mode and, if so, how do you use i t and in what situations?

No. I can’t see the advantage over Manual + Auto ISO, and the limits on FV are frustrating. I wish Canon had given us another C mode (C4) instead.

Last edited:
My habits from years of use are based around Manual mode. I am used to the different dials to change shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. When in auto-ISO, I use the lens ring to change exposure compensation or I kick the ISO to a manual setting. It just wound up being more intuitive for me to know what dial changed which setting as opposed to keeping track of it while I was in Fv mode.

I just shoot in the fully automatic A+ mode. So much easier. ;)
black sheep of the RF forum family ;):) I too thought it was just a fancy M mode but use it all the time as well. M still used for storm photography though. Good topic by the way

I tried it for a while but found it too slow. You have to move the cursor to what you want to adjust. It was as stepping stone from Av to M. With Auto ISO I shoot in M these days.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back