Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Just curious if anyone wishes that the electronic shutter on the R5 would have a sound option, so you actually know when you have pressed the shutter button and captured an image.

I find when using the electronic shutter it's far too easy to trigger the shutter when focussing, and often I don't even know that I've done it because the shutter button is so sensitive.

I also use a Sony a9 which provides an option to turn on sound when using the electronic shutter and this works well. It's only a very quiet sound (much quieter than the mechanical shutter) but it's good to get that audible feedback, and you can still disable it if you really need complete silence.

I find myself using the mechanical shutter on the R5 more often than the electronic just so I know when I've taken a shot, but I would use the electronic shutter more often if there was some audible feedback.

Electronic shutter sound as an option, yes, that could be useful in some situations, but not by default.

I take it you are not a BBF user then? At least if you accidentally fire off a few frames you're only loosing a bit of storage space.

• Admin
Electronic shutter sound as an option, yes, that could be useful in some situations, but not by default.

I take it you are not a BBF user then? At least if you accidentally fire off a few frames you're only loosing a bit of storage space.
I use the back button but only for Eye AF. I disable it on the shutter button. I find this method to be faster for locking on and more useful if a bird is perched and slightly obscured by branches as I can lock focus on the bird with spot AF and grab a safety shot, then use Eye AF to play with the composition. If I try jumping straight to Eye AF and there are branches in front of the bird it will often just hunt and struggle to find the bird let alone the eye.

It's amazing just how many different ways things can be set up; no absolute wrong or right ways, just the way you are happy using.

• Admin
It's amazing just how many different ways things can be set up; no absolute wrong or right ways, just the way you are happy using.
Yes, definitely lots of different ways of doing things. I'm mostly happy with how I have things set for now, at least for wildlife.

Just curious if anyone wishes that the electronic shutter on the R5 would have a sound option, so you actually know when you have pressed the shutter button and captured an image.

I find when using the electronic shutter it's far too easy to trigger the shutter when focussing, and often I don't even know that I've done it because the shutter button is so sensitive.

I also use a Sony a9 which provides an option to turn on sound when using the electronic shutter and this works well. It's only a very quiet sound (much quieter than the mechanical shutter) but it's good to get that audible feedback, and you can still disable it if you really need complete silence.

I find myself using the mechanical shutter on the R5 more often than the electronic just so I know when I've taken a shot, but I would use the electronic shutter more often if there was some audible feedback.
I would like to see optional, low-volume audible feedback on the electronic shutter. It would be nice to have volume control, but maybe that's asking too much.

I too would like to have the option in the menu of activating a shutter sound when using electronic shutter. I had a day out hoping to catch a Kingfisher diving into the water. I had my R5 set up with electronic shutter 20fps. Using a 3 meter non Hanma cable release i would very quickly blip the button to wake up the camera from sleep mode in preparation to catch a dive. Well the Kingfisher choose to fly off. I must have inadvertently held pressure on the button, When i got home and uploaded the days images i had a sequence of 187 capture of a piece of water. Hopefully lesson learned. :oops:

YES!! I thought I was the only one....I appreciate the ability to be totally silent, but I also shot with Sony, A9, a7RIV and appreciated the ability to have simulated shutter in silent mode. I keep hoping this will come to R5 in firmware update.

I would love to be able to have a sound. I am reluctant to use the electronic shutter because I end up taking far more pictures than I want.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back