Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
The other day I took about 300 to 400 photos, all much the same subject all with the camera set to auto. All the pictures were recorded as jpeg and raw.

The first 300 odd pictures all recorded on the memory card complete with meta data. The remaining, almost 100 shots were also recorded except some of the meta data is missing and the computer image viewer says it cannot show the picture as it cannot recognise the file format, jpg or raw.

Anyone know what's gone a miss?

Update:

Fired off another 20 odd frames both raw and jpg on this iffy card. All of them are faulty.

Swapped it for a no name 8 Gb card, took the same 20 frames raw jpg. All of them are perfect

Could I have cooked the card by firing lots of frames in quick succession?

Conclusion. The duff card is definitely duff

Now in the market for a CF card. Why do they cosy more per Mb than a solid drive for my laptop? I think we are being ripped off.

Update:

Fired off another 20 odd frames both raw and jpg on this iffy card. All of them are faulty.

Swapped it for a no name 8 Gb card, took the same 20 frames raw jpg. All of them are perfect

Could I have cooked the card by firing lots of frames in quick succession?

Conclusion. The duff card is definitely duff

Now in the market for a CF card. Why do they cosy more per Mb than a solid drive for my laptop? I think we are being ripped off.

Was it a new card to start with? May have just gotten the occasional dud card. Cranking off a burst or doing paced single shots makes no difference to a memory card. It reads/writes as fast as it can within the parameters of the device using it.

As for the prices on CFExpress, it’s the newest form factor with highest performance so you got to pay the price so everyone can recoup their R&D investments.

Prices will come down in time, but for now it is what it is.

This duff card records OK, just cannot see anything in a viewer or picture editor, they just show an error message

I downloaded some software that will check your memory card and report on its condition

My 1 Tb card took 5 hours to test. It was obvious it was duff, with the card inserted in a USB 3 socked the read rate was often less than 8Mb per second. Although the card, while in the camera, was able to record pictures it was not able to record essential part that makes a picture recognisable as a JPG RAW or anything else.

Of the card's 1,000 Gb of storage only 8 were useable. I was using an 8Gb card that was as slow as s*** off a shovel in a £4k camera. You couldn't make it up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cautious::cry:

I downloaded some software that will check your memory card and report on its condition

My 1 Tb card took 5 hours to test. It was obvious it was duff, with the card inserted in a USB 3 socked the read rate was often less than 8Mb per second. Although the card, while in the camera, was able to record pictures it was not able to record essential part that makes a picture recognisable as a JPG RAW or anything else.

Of the card's 1,000 Gb of storage only 8 were useable. I was using an 8Gb card that was as slow as s*** off a shovel in a £4k camera. You couldn't make it up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cautious::cry:
That's too bad. I hope that the photos weren't critical. Even if not, it's disappointing, I'm sure.

That's too bad. I hope that the photos weren't critical. Even if not, it's disappointing, I'm sure.
Fortunately I had captured plenty, the 45 that were corrupted is disappointing but not the end of the world.

Got my 50th wedding anniversary in August and I'm due to go on holiday to Egypt on November. Not capturing those events would have been a disaster

Glad that you discovered the issue Greg before your trip to Egypt! The CFexpress cards are a bit on the pricy side but they do offer a very nice speed boost over the SD Cards.

The large express cards with fast speed are in excess of £300 - 400. I can buy a 1 Tb SSD for my laptop for £60. I get the feeling of being ripped off

The large express cards with fast speed are in excess of £300 - 400. I can buy a 1 Tb SSD for my laptop for £60. I get the feeling of being ripped off
If you don't shoot a lot of continuous bursts then you'd be fine just using an SD card, even a card like the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-I would be fine. Of course you'd have to wait a little longer to copy the files over. It's probably also not worth using a card larger than 64GB unless you shoot continuous, as otherwise you risk losing more images if anything goes wrong. Unless you are shooting video as then you can soon eat up the space.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back