Canon R6 I Thinking of Purchasing the R6?

Brian1965

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Brian Donnelly
Thinking of getting an R6 instead of an R5 or R3 to save money or spend the extra money on lenses. Thinking of starting with the 100-500 and 70-200 lenses. Main interest is wildlife photography. I'll be moving to Albuquerque, NM in a few years. My current camera, which I'm not fond of, is an Olympus EM 10 Mark ii with a 40-150 lens...which I don't use.

I have the R6 for the same $$ savings. I have the 1dx and 5DIV so the MP ratings on the R6 was in the range I am used to. I use the R6 for landscapes, Steam Trains, lighthouses. I started with the R24-105 kit lens and the R70-200 F4, again for $$ since with the converter all my other EF lens work great.

I'd agree, the R6 is a great camera and the lenses are where it's at. Since you are coming from Olympus you don't have any EF lenses to adapt so it's all new. You can't go wrong with the 100-500, I love that lens. I don't have the 70-200 but I hear it's a great lens. I have the RF 100mm macro and it's superb, all the rest of my lenses are adapted EF lens so I can't help you with advice there.

I'd agree, the R6 is a great camera and the lenses are where it's at. Since you are coming from Olympus you don't have any EF lenses to adapt so it's all new. You can't go wrong with the 100-500, I love that lens. I don't have the 70-200 but I hear it's a great lens. I have the RF 100mm macro and it's superb, all the rest of my lenses are adapted EF lens so I can't help you with advice there.
Thanks, Hali.

Thinking of getting an R6 instead of an R5 or R3 to save money or spend the extra money on lenses. Thinking of starting with the 100-500 and 70-200 lenses. Main interest is wildlife photography. I'll be moving to Albuquerque, NM in a few years. My current camera, which I'm not fond of, is an Olympus EM 10 Mark ii with a 40-150 lens...which I don't use.
The R6 has the AF and frame rate for this type of shooting so it is not at all a bad choice for this. I've been shooting wildlife for a long time and from my own experience, reach has always been a problem - not being able to get close enough. So there will be many pictures that need to be cropped. The R6 has only 20 Mp so cropping will be troublesome. The R5 has 45 Mp so, in comparison, is much better in this situation. The issue is whether that is worth the extra $1500.

If you end up with the R6, before cropping, you should use LRC or ACR to enhance the image - it doubles the resolution without significantly losing IQ. Better yet, plugins like ON1 can do this with any resolution. For wildlife, the 70-200 lens is way too short. I'd just get the 100-500.

The R6 has the AF and frame rate for this type of shooting so it is not at all a bad choice for this. I've been shooting wildlife for a long time and from my own experience, reach has always been a problem - not being able to get close enough. So there will be many pictures that need to be cropped. The R6 has only 20 Mp so cropping will be troublesome. The R5 has 45 Mp so, in comparison, is much better in this situation. The issue is whether that is worth the extra $1500.

If you end up with the R6, before cropping, you should use LRC or ACR to enhance the image - it doubles the resolution without significantly losing IQ. Better yet, plugins like ON1 can do this with any resolution. For wildlife, the 70-200 lens is way too short. I'd just get the 100-500.
I think I'll just go with the R5 or a Sony a7Riv.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back