RF 24-240mm as an All-Purpose Walk-Around?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Olar

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bill Adam
City/State
Guelph, Ontario
I like the sound of the 24-240mm focal range as a general walk-around but don't like what a couple of YouTube reviewers had to say. I've just purchased an R6 and plan to use my EF 24-105 F/4 with my EF 70-200 F/4 kept handy for when that extra reach is needed. I would love to have a single lens only particularly for hiking.
Any first hand comments out there?

It is a bugger making decisions to dump perfectly good equipment. The RF 24-240mm doesn't have weather sealing. It more than covers the range of your 2 lenses.

Rent a 24-240mm see how you get on. It should be possible to buy one 2nd hand now.

Yesterday was the first time I carried my R5 plus RF 24-240mm around all day from 9.30am to 5.00pm non stop, the weight was getting oppressive. Wish I had taken my Canon M6 Mk2 instead 🙂. How you manage with even more weight I don't know.

It is a bugger making decisions to dump perfectly good equipment. The RF 24-240mm doesn't have weather sealing. It more than covers the range of your 2 lenses.

Rent a 24-240mm see how you get on. It should be possible to buy one 2nd hand now.

Yesterday was the first time I carried my R5 plus RF 24-240mm around all day from 9.30am to 5.00pm non stop, the weight was getting oppressive. Wish I had taken my Canon M6 Mk2 instead 🙂. How you manage with even more weight I don't know.
Well if I am walking around all day it's with my EF f/4L 24-105mm and an R5 or R6 body. If I need more length than that I am wearing a harness or a sling or something and not doing very long distances. (I love the Cotton Carrier G3 harness for carrying my big Sigma lens – don't know that it could handle a big prime though.) I suspect that I won't be satisfied with the 24-240 lens as a full-time substitute for my other lenses. It could be fun to have as an all-purpose travel lens, but if I plan on doing serious shooting I think I will want to stick with L lenses (eventually I will have to swap out the EF versions for RF versions I guess). Now that I have gotten into shooting birds and wildlife, I'm still mulling over the RF 600mm prime lens!

I have the R5, RF 24-240' and RF 100 macro. Don't plan to get any other lens. My type of photography doesn't warrant more. I also have the M6 Mk2 with 2 lenses as back up and when I'm in crowded places or when I don't want to stand out. Just insured that lot, minus the 100 macro, for holiday. Total value £7000. The cost of this hobby creeps up on you. Full frame high spec camera and lenses are big in every respect. £200+ just for a cf memory card 😱

I purchased the 24–240 mm just before a wedding. I shot the whole wedding outdoors and indoors without a flash on our five. No complaints. I even had to soften up some of the images because they were too sharp, unflattering. I posted a couple of examples in the gallery under weddings. I have used it just walking around and it is very versatile. If you use Lightroom, always check the lens correction boxes when developing. Improves the image edges at wide angles.
I think this says a lot ... I am tempted by this lens just as a walk around ... I have 24-104, 28-70, 70-200 ... but to have one 'almost' as good lens doing it all in reasonable light appeals a lot.

I think this says a lot ... I am tempted by this lens just as a walk around ... I have 24-104, 28-70, 70-200 ... but to have one 'almost' as good lens doing it all in reasonable light appeals a lot.
I have been hand holding the 24-240mm at night for 1/3 second. Looks fine on a 9in tablet zoomed in. The combined IS works wonders.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents and say how impressed I am with the RF 24-240mm on the R6. Early days yet but I'm certainly not experiencing the poor edge quality some reviewers have experienced. Without correction, the image circle at 24mm doesn't quite cover the sensor but turning on corrections does a fantastic job. The long end is just fantastic in my opinion. I have the RF100-500mm and there may be a tiny bit of difference in sharpness but not much.

I wonder if there are sample variations? I'm with Ken Rockwell on this lens, sharp all through the range but others have commented it's soft in corners etc etc.

In my opinion, it's well worth the money if you want a do it all walk around lens.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back