RF 24-240mm as an All-Purpose Walk-Around?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Olar

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bill Adam
City/State
Guelph, Ontario
I like the sound of the 24-240mm focal range as a general walk-around but don't like what a couple of YouTube reviewers had to say. I've just purchased an R6 and plan to use my EF 24-105 F/4 with my EF 70-200 F/4 kept handy for when that extra reach is needed. I would love to have a single lens only particularly for hiking.
Any first hand comments out there?

I have the RP and am using the 24-105mm as my workhorse lens. I am considering buying the 24-240mm lens but am put off by the tales of lens correction being necessary. I use Affinity for editing. Does anyone know if Affinity supports this lens? Thanks.

I'm not at all familiar with Affinity.

I have the 24 240 lens. There are no problems with lens correct. JPG's are corrected. I use RAW in Canon's own software and JPG .GIMP, no problem with either.

Beside any post work doubt, the lens is superb at capturing almost every subject withing range

This lens has really surprised me so much so that I sold my (adapted) EF 24-105 v1.

Attachments

• 826A0857 sq.jpg
    826A0857 sq.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 424
I really like this lens. I originally bought it because it was one of the few RF lenses that were out that were good with my infrared converted RP (didn't give a hot spot at all apertures, only above f/8). In time, though, I've come to really appreciate it as a great walk around lens for my R5 as well. It's not the sharpest lens, it vignettes, and it's slow but with the lens corrections and not having over the top expectations it's a good all around lens. I prefer my L series lenses, but I'm not in a rush to replace all my EF L lenses (especially the big ones) with RF series L glass. I don't know if I ever will, I'm fine working with the adapters.

Thank you very much for your replies. I am probably going to trade in my RF 24-105mm and EF 70-300 lens for it.

I have just started using an R6 and have posted some comparison images of flowers (using the RF 24-240 and the RF 70-200 L - the latter on loan) in the Plants gallery. I haven't found out how to link to them so I've reposted a couple here. So far I'm very happy with the RF 24-240, particularly for its versatility.

Attachments

• 4S2A4819.JPG
    4S2A4819.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 4S2A4822.JPG
    4S2A4822.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 272
I have just started using an R6 and have posted some comparison images of flowers (using the RF 24-240 and the RF 70-200 L - the latter on loan) in the Plants gallery. I haven't found out how to link to them so I've reposted a couple here. So far I'm very happy with the RF 24-240, particularly for its versatility.
I bought my 24-240 when it first came out and used it on my rp and now on my r6. For 699 I believe it is by far the best value lens that Canon makes. It is small, lightweight and you get clean, crisp images. It is great for wide shots when you don’t have your wide angle handy and provides good images out to its max range. It is the first lens I pack when I travel also great for family photos. I personally have never understood the value of the 70-200 and just can’t justify the price especially compared to the 24-240. I wish Canon would come out with a 200-600L lens. For now I also can’t justify buying the 100-500 when my workhorse 100-400ii works so well especially when paired with the version i i i extenders.

The 24-240mm on my R5 has surpassed my expectations! Thought I'd be giving up a lot for the flexibility but that hasn't proven to be true. It may not replace some of my pro lenses in certain situations, but it's brought back the fun of relaxed walk about shooting without the burden of carrying multiple lenses. Assuming one isn't going to pixel peep huge prints I doubt most could tell the difference. It's well made, balances well in the hand and focuses relatively quick for a consumer lens.

The 24-240mm on my R5 has surpassed my expectations! Thought I'd be giving up a lot for the flexibility but that hasn't proven to be true. It may not replace some of my pro lenses in certain situations, but it's brought back the fun of relaxed walk about shooting without the burden of carrying multiple lenses. Assuming one isn't going to pixel peep huge prints I doubt most could tell the difference. It's well made, balances well in the hand and focuses relatively quick for a consumeTotally agree. I'm going to Egypt in November, didn't wan

The 24-240mm on my R5 has surpassed my expectations! Thought I'd be giving up a lot for the flexibility but that hasn't proven to be true. It may not replace some of my pro lenses in certain situations, but it's brought back the fun of relaxed walk about shooting without the burden of carrying multiple lenses. Assuming one isn't going to pixel peep huge prints I doubt most could tell the difference. It's well made, balances well in the hand and focuses relatively quick for a consumer lens.
Totally agree. I'm going to Egypt in November, didn't want to be changing lenses with all that sand and dust about

I like the sound of the 24-240mm focal range as a general walk-around but don't like what a couple of YouTube reviewers had to say. I've just purchased an R6 and plan to use my EF 24-105 F/4 with my EF 70-200 F/4 kept handy for when that extra reach is needed. I would love to have a single lens only particularly for hiking.
Any first hand comments out there?
I purchased the 24–240 mm just before a wedding. I shot the whole wedding outdoors and indoors without a flash on our five. No complaints. I even had to soften up some of the images because they were too sharp, unflattering. I posted a couple of examples in the gallery under weddings. I have used it just walking around and it is very versatile. If you use Lightroom, always check the lens correction boxes when developing. Improves the image edges at wide angles.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back