Dave Williams

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Williams
Who has them? Which one/s? ......and with which lens do you use it with?

I have just ordered the 1.4 to go with the 100-500 which pushes the aperture to f10 at 700mm. Has anyone got the 2x to use with this lens? What are the results like? Do you lose AF points when using it? Is it slow to AF? Loss of IQ?

Were these teleconverters released ahead of their time to match up with the RF super telephotos when they are eventually released?

I find it hard too imagine that either work particularly well with the RF 600 and 800mm f11 lenses but perhaps you know better!

Please share your findings.

Can you not install it at 400mm then wind the lens back in?
i took this from another site and all i did was confirm with my set up ... however i dont know about r6 but r5 you can change from full frame aspect to 1.6 and still get your distance without the teleconverter ... just an idea

i took this from another site and all i did was confirm with my set up ... however i dont know about r6 but r5 you can change from full frame aspect to 1.6 and still get your distance without the teleconverter ... just an idea
Better to start with 45mp than 17 and then you can crop as you want it perhaps?
I have decided against buying a 2x TC due to the fact I'd have to work at f14. f10 is challenging enough.

I posted this on the FB page too which might be of interest to potential purchasers of the 100-500 and the implications of using a TC.

Took my newly acquired 100-500 for a bit of testing to a local site where some Snow Buntings have been over wintering. Carrying the combination is a wonderful lightweight relief from my 500mm f4Mk2 with a DSLR, especially my now departed 1DX2. I have attached a Wimberley QR plate to create a better hand grip/carry handle at twice the length of the lens foot ( 4 inches in total) as I don't us the carry straps that either camera or lens come with.
Unfortunately my ordered RF 1.4TC didn't arrive in time for the shoot but it has now so I'll test the combination later. No doubt you will by now realise that if you attach the TC to the lens you have to first extend the barrel to 300mm otherwise the TC won't fit. You now have an effective 420-700mm lens so as long as you are happy with that all is fine, however one thing I hadn't considered is if you want to leave the TC attached and stow it away in your bag, or even have it hanging from your carry strap, with the lens hood attached it is considerably longer than it was before..an extra four inches long in fact. You might like to factor that in to your decision about a camera bag amongst other things.
One of the known problems of zoom lenses with extending external barrels is their weakness to taking in dust. The L class lens does it's best to prevent this I'm sure but my 100-400 shows slight evidence it inside the lens and no doubt in due course so will the 100-500. It doesn't show in the shots you take but it is there. Having the barrel permanently extended when you have the 1.4TC attached will increase the likelyhood of it collecting dirt and worse still, salt in the wrong environment. So beware, maybe taking a cloth to wipe it down before taking it apart might be a good idea, especially in maritime locations.
Anyway, here's my Snow Bunting on a rather dull day. ISO 800, 1/800th f7.1 at 500mm. An approximate 70% crop.
I have run the final image through Topaz but at ISO 800 there is no discernible difference to the final image.
_G7A0037-DeNoiseAI-denoise (1).jpg

I have decided against buying a 2x TC due to the fact I'd have to work at f14. f10 is challenging enough.

I posted this on the FB page too which might be of interest to potential purchasers of the 100-500 and the implications of using a TC.

Took my newly acquired 100-500 for a bit of testing to a local site where some Snow Buntings have been over wintering. Carrying the combination is a wonderful lightweight relief from my 500mm f4Mk2 with a DSLR, especially my now departed 1DX2. I have attached a Wimberley QR plate to create a better hand grip/carry handle at twice the length of the lens foot ( 4 inches in total) as I don't us the carry straps that either camera or lens come with.
Unfortunately my ordered RF 1.4TC didn't arrive in time for the shoot but it has now so I'll test the combination later. No doubt you will by now realise that if you attach the TC to the lens you have to first extend the barrel to 300mm otherwise the TC won't fit. You now have an effective 420-700mm lens so as long as you are happy with that all is fine, however one thing I hadn't considered is if you want to leave the TC attached and stow it away in your bag, or even have it hanging from your carry strap, with the lens hood attached it is considerably longer than it was before..an extra four inches long in fact. You might like to factor that in to your decision about a camera bag amongst other things.
One of the known problems of zoom lenses with extending external barrels is their weakness to taking in dust. The L class lens does it's best to prevent this I'm sure but my 100-400 shows slight evidence it inside the lens and no doubt in due course so will the 100-500. It doesn't show in the shots you take but it is there. Having the barrel permanently extended when you have the 1.4TC attached will increase the likelyhood of it collecting dirt and worse still, salt in the wrong environment. So beware, maybe taking a cloth to wipe it down before taking it apart might be a good idea, especially in maritime locations.
Anyway, here's my Snow Bunting on a rather dull day. ISO 800, 1/800th f7.1 at 500mm. An approximate 70% crop.
I have run the final image through Topaz but at ISO 800 there is no discernible difference to the final image.View attachment 610
thank you for the article ... I purchased the 2x before i ever recieved my lens lol so i will see what my lens can do in the next couple of days ... both with and without

I picked up my 100-500 yesterday and have been using it with the 1.4x and R6 body today. I'm relatively happy so far, not bothered by the f10 as I have been using the RF 800 f11 for a couple of months and got used to it. Here's a couple from today that have been slightly cropped.

Attachments

• 153A2208.jpg
    153A2208.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 168
  • 153A1941.jpg
    153A1941.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 153A1796.jpg
    153A1796.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 217
I'm jealous I tried to shoot a cardinal in a tree , forgot to animal priority on focus and it kept focusing on the branches and manual focus wit ha bird like a cardinal is a joke lol

I use my R5 and the 10-500 all the time. Occasionally I use the 1.4 TC and also like the light weight of the 700 mm and no tripod. Yes, I only have F10, but to me, that is a small price to pay for the light weight and maneuverability. Here is my example. It is cropped to about 80% of full frame size.
R5 2021-02-17-5593.jpg

I have run the final image through Topaz but at ISO 800 there is no discernible difference to the final image.View attachment 610
Hi Dave have you managed to do much testing with the RF 100-500 and the 1.4 TC yet?

I have the 100-500 and considered the 1.4 TC but I'm just not sure if I'd use it enough to justify the cost, especially given the amazing cropping ability we have on the R5.

Hi Dave have you managed to do much testing with the RF 100-500 and the 1.4 TC yet?

I have the 100-500 and considered the 1.4 TC but I'm just not sure if I'd use it enough to justify the cost, especially given the amazing cropping ability we have on the R5.
Yes, I have been using it a lot! The problem is reach is often king in my kind of photography which is usually avian, and small birds at that. Like my 500mm f4 I nearly always end up with the 1.4TC bolted on the end. The other day I actually took the EF500mm f4 plus 2.0x TC to photograph a particular bird which I knew would be too distant at 700mm despite the crop I would be making.It was a steep hill to climb carrying it too!
The RF 1.4TC is expensive...the 2.0x is even more ridiculous really and that's why I have not bought one...well that and the fact I'd need bright light to use it at f14.
Only you can decide if it's worth investing in but I imagine if most shots that you are taking are at 500mm then the answer would be yes!

I picked up my 100-500 yesterday and have been using it with the 1.4x and R6 body today. I'm relatively happy so far, not bothered by the f10 as I have been using the RF 800 f11 for a couple of months and got used to it. Here's a couple from today that have been slightly cropped.
What was your ISO set at?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back