View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Renegade Viewfinder

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mario Gonzalez
So I know they are relatively cheap lenses but its still cash cant afford to waste. That being said, what filter does everyone have on their lenses. I want to prevent messing up my glass but also still get sharp images. I hope to do more portrait work and was wondering if a ND filter would effect images negatively. Sorry I type like I speak all over the place any info would be greatly appreciated.

I always put a UV filter on my lens. Since it is just protection. I think a ND filter would add an effect you may not want.

I too usually have a UV filter on lenses just as added protection for the front element, although with a hood fitted it is probably not really necessary. A polariser or ND permanently on the lens would not be a good idea.

The coatings on modern lenses are very tough. If you keep a lens hood on your lens you shouldn't need to worry about damaging the objective. Adding a layer of glass, even if it is a high quality one, will degrade your image quality. That said, if you are shooting in an environment where something like gravel is being thrown around, sure, add a sacrificial filter to take the blows.

On smaller lenses like my 50mm or 85mm with no hood I keep a UV filter on just for protection. My larger lenses like 16-35, 24-70 or 70-200 all have lens hoods. Keeps anything from contacting the lens. An ND filter would push your shutter speeds and ISO higher than they need for normal shots. Could cause you to introduce noise that you don’t want.

I just use the lens hoods to act as lens protection. Lens cap for when it goes in the bag. I've dropped my RF 24-105 a couple times now, and other than some scuffs on the lens hood its in mint shape.

Even a good quality UV filter can lead to weird flares in certain light, never much saw the point personally.

I have fitted a protect filter on my expensive L lenses. Basically clear optical glass which doesn't appear to cause issues. However, have a lens hood fitted at all times so I suppose, as others have said, a filter is not really required.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back