View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Renegade Viewfinder

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mario Gonzalez
So I know they are relatively cheap lenses but its still cash cant afford to waste. That being said, what filter does everyone have on their lenses. I want to prevent messing up my glass but also still get sharp images. I hope to do more portrait work and was wondering if a ND filter would effect images negatively. Sorry I type like I speak all over the place any info would be greatly appreciated.

I would not use an ND filter for lens protection. It is a specialized tool for bright lights and wide-open apertures. The UV or better a clear filter is what would work best for protection. I shoot in conditions that are at times dusty due to helicopter rotor wash so a protective covering is an absolute necessity in these environments. The ND gives me light control while protecting the lens under these same conditions, I don't make a habit of stacking filters.

In either case, it's a good habit to check the filters often for damage in extreme environments.

The coatings on modern lenses are very tough. If you keep a lens hood on your lens you shouldn't need to worry about damaging the objective. Adding a layer of glass, even if it is a high quality one, will degrade your image quality. That said, if you are shooting in an environment where something like gravel is being thrown around, sure, add a sacrificial filter to take the blows.
After many years of wasting money into filters UV, polarising, etc, I have stopped using them. As DaveTX said, a lens hood provodes more protection than a glass filter.

After many years of wasting money into filters UV, polarising, etc, I have stopped using them. As DaveTX said, a lens hood provodes more protection than a glass filter.
Two points: 1. if you need to shoot with a small Fstop for composition in a very bright environment, I'm not sure how you would do this without an ND filter of some sort so they have their uses. 2. When you are in an environment where windblown dust or, dust propelled by other means such as propellers and rotor wash as from a helicopter, the impact of that dust is akin to sandblasting and a sacrificial UV filter will ultimately save your expensive lens. This cannot be accomplished with a lens hood alone. JMHO

All that being said, putting any material in from of your lens glass has the potential to affect the image quality.

The OP was asking about lens protection. ND filters are not for protection so I do not count them as such. I have to say that I have never used ND filters. While I have never been in a prop wash nor do I see myself In that situation, I do carry UV and polarizing filters. If I found myself in some type of wind or sand storm, I might put on a filter. More likely to take photo and put the lens cap on.

The OP was asking about lens protection. ND filters are not for protection so I do not count them as such. I have to say that I have never used ND filters. While I have never been in a prop wash nor do I see myself In that situation, I do carry UV and polarizing filters. If I found myself in some type of wind or sand storm, I might put on a filter. More likely to take photo and put the lens cap on.
While I agree with you for the most part I like to be prepared and the OP had actually suggested that he might look at an ND filter for protection. JMHO

As someone who shoots in a desert environment here in Arizona, blowing dust in the heavy wind is always a possibility so I prepare for this environment.

I'd use lens hoods over UV filters. They tend to protect the filter ring and prevent a filter getting stuck on should it fall.

I’ve stopped using UV filters and just use a lens hood for protection as I’ve read a few articles that say they do alter ur picture slightly. I only ever us ND filters for getting soft water on fountains or at the beach

I’ve stopped using UV filters and just use a lens hood for protection as I’ve read a few articles that say they do alter ur picture slightly. I only ever us ND filters for getting soft water on fountains or at the beach
While I agree with the possibility of a slight shift in image quality, I also believe in being prepared for those situations where I need (or want) to get a shot but conditions are such that lens damage can occur. To carry the filter(s) for those conditions is wise. I carry a First Aid kit hoping to never have to use it but I carry it nonetheless. JMHO ;)

As an amateur photographer I too have always included a UV filter at the end of each lens. Although they are pricey, I've gone for B+W filters to try to minimise the effect the extra glass has and as others have said, modern lens coatings are very capable indeed, but I live close to the sea so salt, sand and other muck is always present. I'd rather replace 70 quids worth of filter if I do get it damaged beyond use than a grands worth or more of much-loved lens.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back