PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from a recent visit to Tretower (‘the place of the tower’) Castle and Court, Tretower, Powys, Wales.

(We again used the venue as our ‘Motorway Service Area’, but this time we were able to visit the interior).

You can find out more about the history of Tretower Castle and Court by clicking Here.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

Phil and Karen

1. Tretower Castle (Welsh ‘Castell Tretŵr’) was originally a motte and bailey Norman castle built by Picard and his family in around 1150. Picard's son, Roger Picard I, later replaced the motte with a shell keep.

TreT-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 125

2. The Tower, added in the early 13th century by Roger Picard II, had walls which were nine feet thick.

TreT-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 1600

3. Across from the Castle lies the medieval fortified Manor House, Tretower Court (Welsh ‘Llys Tretŵr’), built in the early 14th century. Welsh archers who fought for King Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415 gathered here at Tretower.

TreT-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 27.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

4. Tretower Court was later developed and refurbished by Sir Roger Vaughan (made powerful during the War of the Roses) and his descendants. This is the kitchen where lavish meals were prepared for the family and their guests.

TreT-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

5. Tretower Court was to became a magnet for medieval Welsh poets, who enjoyed the comforts and hospitality provided by their generous hosts. Tretower Castle and Court are now in the care of CADW (the Welsh Government’s historic service).

TreT-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

(Sources: CADW and WIKIPEDIA)

Last edited:
Another interesting set. Keep it up! These old houses are intriguing.

Another interesting set. Keep it up! These old houses are intriguing.
Hi Mike,

Cheers - appreciated! We have a few more lined up, so stay tuned... :)

P&K

Images from a recent visit to Tretower (‘the place of the tower’) Castle and Court, Tretower, Powys, Wales.

(We again used the venue as our ‘Motorway Service Area’, but this time we were able to visit the interior).

You can find out more about the history of Tretower Castle and Court by clicking Here.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

Phil and Karen

1. Tretower Castle (Welsh ‘Castell Tretŵr’) was originally a motte and bailey Norman castle built by Picard and his family in around 1150. Picard's son, Roger Picard I, later replaced the motte with a shell keep.

View attachment 16962

2. The Tower, added in the early 13th century by Roger Picard II, had walls which were nine feet thick.

View attachment 16963

3. Across from the Castle lies the medieval fortified Manor House, Tretower Court (Welsh ‘Llys Tretŵr’), built in the early 14th century. Welsh archers who fought for King Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415 gathered here at Tretower.

View attachment 16964

4. Tretower Court was later developed and refurbished by Sir Roger Vaughan (made powerful during the War of the Roses) and his descendants. This is the kitchen where lavish meals were prepared for the family and their guests.

View attachment 16965

5. Tretower Court was to became a magnet for medieval Welsh poets, who enjoyed the comforts and hospitality provided by their generous hosts. Tretower Castle and Court are now in the care of CADW (the Welsh Government’s historic service).

View attachment 16966

(Sources: CADW and WIKIPEDIA)
Really like all the contrasting lines and angles in this shot! Takes a lot of looks to appreciate them all. Super job!

Really like all the contrasting lines and angles in this shot! Takes a lot of looks to appreciate them all. Super job!
Hi Lee,

Cheers - much appreciated! :)

For a 'quick stop-off' we were surprised by how much we found here of interest - plenty to keep our photographic side busy and a very informative audio guide too!

P&K

Really like the b&w. Da iawn!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back