What's your preference for multiple card writing in camera?

It appears that many folk don't have confidence in their card manufacturer!!
Depending on what format you are shooting in and at what FPS, if you are not careful won't the buffer fill and you'll miss shots rather than risk losing through card failure? Particularly if one card is much slower than the other and you are recording RAWs on it.
It's not a matter of confidence, it's about possible accidents or a failure in camera or the card.
Speedwise, with a CFe in one slot and a SD V90 in the other, I have never hit the buffer on my R5s. (RAW to both). I don't have any slow cards.
When I spend a ton of dough on a African Safari, shooting to both cards is cheap insurance.

It's not a matter of confidence, it's about possible accidents or a failure in camera or the card.
Speedwise, with a CFe in one slot and a SD V90 in the other, I have never hit the buffer on my R5s. (RAW to both). I don't have any slow cards.
When I spend a ton of dough on a African Safari, shooting to both cards is cheap insurance.
I agree. I used to set one card to RAW and one to JPEG thinking that the JPEG would serve for quick, general distribution (people viewing the image on their phone, for example). But I found that I NEVER used the JPEGs and any image that I shared with anyone was processed from RAW first. So now I feel that it is smarter to save RAW to each card and provide myself with some level of insurance.

Each to their own of course! Do you transfer the images to an external hard drive when away on a trip or keep them on the cards? I'm just looking through my South African trip for last year and I took a ridiculous amount of memory space which I'm only now getting around to deleting.4K Video at 120fps is the main culprit for eating memory.

Ok next question- do you use a large card for the back up slot, say 256-512 gb, and something smaller in the main spot, like a 128, that’s still probably large enough for several hours (I’m shooting ~28MB R6II files) or same size? My thinking is larger cards are more dough and I’m not likely to fill them. I’m probably not going to fill a 128, but if I do I’m only swapping one card and leaving the back up in camera.

Each to their own of course! Do you transfer the images to an external hard drive when away on a trip or keep them on the cards? I'm just looking through my South African trip for last year and I took a ridiculous amount of memory space which I'm only now getting around to deleting.4K Video at 120fps is the main culprit for eating memory.
I take a handful of cards, Keep the backup cards (replace when full) and dump the CFe to a laptop daily running LR which uploads to the cloud and downloads automatically to my home desktop in LrC.

I currently have the same type & capacity of card in both slots on my R6 Mk 2 and save jpg to one and RAW to the other. On the card reliability point, there is a separate thread on the issue. Very few commentators have reported any failures.

It appears that many folk don't have confidence in their card manufacturer!!
Not really that I don't trust my cards, but when you have a card go bad in the middle of using it and lose a few hundred photos you will want that second card as a backup. That's why I always go RAW and JPG to both cards.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back