What's your preference for multiple card writing in camera?

JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
Right now I'm using a pair of 128s and I'm writing RAW to both with the 2nd slot as my back up. I have a 4 hour event next weekend and I've thought about writing RAW to card 1 and JPEG to card 2, just to make sure I have enough room. I really don't think I'll fill a 128 in four hours, but the 256gb version of the cards I like was out of stock so 128 it was.

How do you set your cards up?

I tried double cards once or twice, but I could not understand why it wrote to one card or the other and decided to use only one.

I tried double cards once or twice, but I could not understand why it wrote to one card or the other and decided to use only one.

The settings menu, normally where the option to format cards are located, allows you to choose how the camera writes to the cards. There are a plethora of combinations available. In the R6M2 I set it to write to “multiple”. That writes the images to both cards in the same format.

RAW to both. 128GB CFe and 128GB SD V90 (R5)

I do stills to one and videos to the other. But if I was an event shooter, I’d just use the second card as a straight backup in case of failure and shoot raw to both.

Still photography only and hobbyist, so:

SanDisk Extreme PRO 128 GB CFexpress for RAW.
ProGrade 128 GB SDXC II for JPEG L

RAW and JPEGS in a sub folder. Cull the JPEGS for those deemed editable. Very lazy is discarding obvious horrible files.

Strictly a hobbyist here but I always shoot RAW and JPG to both. Never know when one will fail.

The settings menu, normally where the option to format cards are located, allows you to choose how the camera writes to the cards. There are a plethora of combinations available. In the R6M2 I set it to write to “multiple”. That writes the images to both cards in the same format.
I essentially wanted the second one to remain spare and be used when the first one gets full. I don't remember seeing that option on my R7 but I will look again.

It appears that many folk don't have confidence in their card manufacturer!!
Depending on what format you are shooting in and at what FPS, if you are not careful won't the buffer fill and you'll miss shots rather than risk losing through card failure? Particularly if one card is much slower than the other and you are recording RAWs on it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back