Your R System Images - June 2024

We've been hearing young tawny owls on our early morning strolls in our local woods (Hartshill Country Park, Warwickshire, England) this week, so we took the big lenses out yesterday morning. Karen spotted them in the tree canopy (very) high above us - and, of course, they had spotted us... :)

(Shot raw by Karen and processed by Phil using: DxO PL Elite, Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels and Topaz Labs Photo AI).

Phil and Karen

What a little cutie...

RF-SO-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 6400

We've been hearing young tawny owls on our early morning strolls in our local woods (Hartshill Country Park, Warwickshire, England) this week, so we took the big lenses out yesterday morning. Karen spotted them in the tree canopy (very) high above us - and, of course, they had spotted us... :)

(Shot raw by Karen and processed by Phil using: DxO PL Elite, Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels and Topaz Labs Photo AI).

Phil and Karen

What a little cutie...

View attachment 28899
Excellent lighting and comp on this one.

Excellent lighting and comp on this one.
Hi Only RF,

Cheers, we got lucky with the conditions - but Karen nailed the shot (and it was an absolute joy to process).

P&K

More images from our recent(ish) visit to Chester Zoo, Cheshire, England. (The compilations are a mix of R7 - Karen and R5 - Phil, so ignore the exif data).

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite and Adobe LrC/ PS - with Tony Kuyper Panels).

Phil and Karen

1. Tiger Club....

RF-SCz-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

2. What a bunch of little cuties...

RF-SCz-7.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 6400

3. Group Hug...

RF-SCz-8.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

4. Date Night...

RF-SCz-9.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 5000

5. H-e-l-l-o...

RF-SCz-11.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. When you're pleased to be stood on the other side of the fence...

RF-SCz-10.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1000

Last edited:
An image certain to fascinate and enthral the viewer.

P&K
Phil and Karen…

There is really only one response to that: get out tonight and take a look for yourselves.

My photo was taken at 5:21 pm: pitch black down here at this time of the year! The internet tables concerning themselves with the affairs of the sun, the moon and the tides assure us that the moon is now around 80% full — waxing gibbous, rather than rugby ballish, is the correct description. Live and learn.

Northern Hemisphere contributors, your task is to take a look early this evening and, more importantly, take a photo or two. I think that, apart from the moon's being a wee bit rounder because it has had more time to wax gibbously, it will be oriented differently because Brisbane is 27ºS and London is 51ºN.

Please, someone go shoot the moon (with the camera horizontal—green line in viewfinder) so that we can compare. I suspect that the moon will be rotated (apparently) so that the part in shadow is 'facing' the left edge of your photo rather than the bottom right corner.

… David

Phil and Karen…

There is really only one response to that: get out tonight and take a look for yourselves.

My photo was taken at 5:21 pm: pitch black down here at this time of the year! The internet tables concerning themselves with the affairs of the sun, the moon and the tides assure us that the moon is now around 80% full — waxing gibbous, rather than rugby ballish, is the correct description. Live and learn.

Northern Hemisphere contributors, your task is to take a look early this evening and, more importantly, take a photo or two. I think that, apart from the moon's being a wee bit rounder because it has had more time to wax gibbously, it will be oriented differently because Brisbane is 27ºS and London is 51ºN.

Please, someone go shoot the moon (with the camera horizontal—green line in viewfinder) so that we can compare. I suspect that the moon will be rotated (apparently) so that the part in shadow is 'facing' the left edge of your photo rather than the bottom right corner.

… David
Hi David,

With tonight's weather forecast for our neck of the woods featuring thunder storms and moderate rain (looking out of the window right now, we may not have to wait that long), the possibility of success is not particularly high. We're up at Chester this weekend and the campsite there may offer clearer skies (the forecast for our trip merely being for 'periods of sunshine and showers'), though as we're 'on a leisure break' things have a tendency to go quite badly weather-wise.

Having said that, anyone not at Chester could be in luck... 😂 😂 😂

P&K

I've been working on a project inspired by Angi Wallaces' submerged flowers. Here are a few of the ones I've created so far.

2024_06_12_SubmergedFlowers-10061_BNW_Merged_Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 400

2024_06_12_SubmergedFlowers-10061_Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 400

2024_06_15_SubmergedRose-10181-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 100

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back