Your R System Images - October 2024

Hi MIke,

A series of shots guaranteed to raise the spirits (of people in central England gazing out the window at another dreary and thoroughly soggy morning).

Glorious colours in abundance, beautifully captured and presented - well done (and keep them coming!).

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K
Thanks! I'm the same way, I enjoy looking at all the colors.
The colors will be changing for the next few weeks, so hopefully, I'll be posting more :)

Hi MIke,

Great news! If you're interested we can swap you some images of mud... 😂 😂 😂

P&K

Heron 2.jpg

Yesterday at Nose Hill Park, Calgary. Trying to get some fall colours. We are having a great fall, temps are still in the mid-teens during the day and hardly below freezing at night.
600A6131.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 150.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 2000
600A6129.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 2000

Imagine, if you will, the noise my wife made when this little fellow scooted out of one of the folders she had spread out on the floor of her office...

GeckoOffice.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 500

Juvenile Waitaha gecko - Woodworthia cf. brunnea - about 5 cm nose to tail.

GeckoOffice-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 2500

They seem to be quite common around our farm - we have at least one living in the swimming pool pump shed - and a few years ago I found one smaller than this hiding behind the cushions on the living room sofa. They do like coming inside, apparently, but it also shows how much room there must be under some of our doors. I knew the place was drafty, but it's not supposed to leak animals.

Yesterday at Nose Hill Park, Calgary. Trying to get some fall colours. We are having a great fall, temps are still in the mid-teens during the day and hardly below freezing at night.
View attachment 32093View attachment 32094
Hi Jack,

Beautiful. Nature's delights well captured - and a joy to behold.

P&K

Imagine, if you will, the noise my wife made when this little fellow scooted out of one of the folders she had spread out on the floor of her office...

View attachment 32119
Juvenile Waitaha gecko - Woodworthia cf. brunnea - about 5 cm nose to tail.

View attachment 32120
They seem to be quite common around our farm - we have at least one living in the swimming pool pump shed - and a few years ago I found one smaller than this hiding behind the cushions on the living room sofa. They do like coming inside, apparently, but it also shows how much room there must be under some of our doors. I knew the place was drafty, but it's not supposed to leak animals.
Hi Gareth,

Karen would have absolutely loved this, but I'd be leaving the door open so your wife could follow me out after rapidly exiting stage left... 😅

On a serious note, that's quite a sight - incredibly piercing eyes - you did rather well to capture it so beautifully (steady hands!).

P&K

Tried to spot the comet last night but no luck. Took a few sunset trail shots for something to do.

_G7A9002-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 508.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 25600

_G7A9017-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 32000

We had a harvest moon and it was pretty big and orange as it started to rise. Didn't see it until I turned around. Far too much atmospheric distortion for anything decent. I waited for it to get higher and it lost the orange glow. Still some distortion but that the heck. I was freezing out there. Waning Gibbous last night. Not one of my favourite moon shots.

_G7A9109-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 1250

Couple of images from my Hunters Moon images
Hunter Moon-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 1,120.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1600
Hunter Moon-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 500
. Did for a comparison of the RF 800mm F11 + RF 1.4 extender and the RF 100-500 mm at 500 mm + RF 1-4 extender.

Nice shots!!
I couldn't find the comet either.... Trying again tonight :)

Tried to spot the comet last night but no luck. Took a few sunset trail shots for something to do.

View attachment 32179

View attachment 32180

We had a harvest moon and it was pretty big and orange as it started to rise. Didn't see it until I turned around. Far too much atmospheric distortion for anything decent. I waited for it to get higher and it lost the orange glow. Still some distortion but that the heck. I was freezing out there. Waning Gibbous last night. Not one of my favourite moon shots.

View attachment 32181
Hi Only RF,

Two contrasting, but nonetheless fascinating subjects - beautifully controlled lighting and a wealth of interest for the viewer.

Well worth your efforts - thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Couple of images from my Hunters Moon imagesView attachment 32185View attachment 32186. Did for a comparison of the RF 800mm F11 + RF 1.4 extender and the RF 100-500 mm at 500 mm + RF 1-4 extender.
Hi Ken,

Two absolutely spellbinding images - both beautifully controlled and captured (and a fascinating tech comparison).

Well done indeed - and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Images from our recent-ish visit to Carlisle Castle, Cumbria, England.

This episode followed on from our soggy trudge around Lanercost Priory - and shared the same dismal drench-fest weather. (A traffic grid-locked Carlisle with Frank’s free-spirited and anarchic Sat Nav adding to the excitement).

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection, Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels and Topaz Labs Studio 2).

You can find out more about Carlisle Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. In AD 72 a large Roman fort built of turf and timber was established on the site. It later provided support for garrisons on Hadrian’s Wall and was a staging post for troops invading Scotland. The first 'castle' at Carlisle, built here during the reign of William II in 1092, was rebuilt in stone under Henry I in 1122.

RF-S-CC-01.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 15.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

2. For 500 years, until the English and Scottish crowns were united in 1603, Carlisle Castle was the principal fortress of England’s north-western border with Scotland and consequently it endured more sieges than any other castle in England.

RF-S-CC-02.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

3. Unlike most medieval castles, Carlisle has been continuously occupied since its foundation. (Though not by the same side!). From the 18th-century to the 1960’s it was the headquarters of the Border Regiment, one of the oldest in the British Army.

RF-S-CC-03.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 15.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

4. When Mary Queen of Scots fled from her rebellious subjects to England in May 1567, she was housed for some weeks in the Warden’s Tower. This was the last time the castle was used as a royal residence. The tower itself was demolished in 1834, but some its footings and stairway partly survive.

RF-S-CC-04.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 160

5. Inside the 900-year old keep, with its immensely thick walls, are 15th-century carvings, which speculation suggests could have been made by members of the castle garrison.

RF-S-CC-05.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. The castle is now managed by English Heritage. Since 2000 most military functions have left, but a few organisations still share the site, notably Cumbria’s Museum of Military Life.

RF-S-CC-06.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

(Sources: English Heritage, Wikipedia).

Images from our recent-ish visit to Carlisle Castle, Cumbria, England.

This episode followed on from our soggy trudge around Lanercost Priory - and shared the same dismal drench-fest weather. (A traffic grid-locked Carlisle with Frank’s free-spirited and anarchic Sat Nav adding to the excitement).

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection, Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels and Topaz Labs Studio 2).

You can find out more about Carlisle Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. In AD 72 a large Roman fort built of turf and timber was established on the site. It later provided support for garrisons on Hadrian’s Wall and was a staging post for troops invading Scotland. The first 'castle' at Carlisle, built here during the reign of William II in 1092, was rebuilt in stone under Henry I in 1122.

View attachment 32197

2. For 500 years, until the English and Scottish crowns were united in 1603, Carlisle Castle was the principal fortress of England’s north-western border with Scotland and consequently it endured more sieges than any other castle in England.

View attachment 32198

3. Unlike most medieval castles, Carlisle has been continuously occupied since its foundation. (Though not by the same side!). From the 18th-century to the 1960’s it was the headquarters of the Border Regiment, one of the oldest in the British Army.

View attachment 32199

4. When Mary Queen of Scots fled from her rebellious subjects to England in May 1567, she was housed for some weeks in the Warden’s Tower. This was the last time the castle was used as a royal residence. The tower itself was demolished in 1834, but some its footings and stairway partly survive.

View attachment 32200

5. Inside the 900-year old keep, with its immensely thick walls, are 15th-century carvings, which speculation suggests could have been made by members of the castle garrison.

View attachment 32201

6. The castle is now managed by English Heritage. Since 2000 most military functions have left, but a few organisations still share the site, notably Cumbria’s Museum of Military Life.

View attachment 32202

(Sources: English Heritage, Wikipedia).
Another nice set. Love the B&W.

First time I've seen this…

I hadn't had much luck on this morning's saunter across Moreton Bay's tidal flats.

The pelicans had gone upriver (fishing scraps there), the Bar-tailed Godwits were flighty (because that's the way they are) and one of the oystercatchers had chosen to pick up a ‘stick’ and fly off with it (how strange!). Might as well take its photo…

Pied Oystercatcher & Elegant Sea Snake
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 10000

30 frames/second | raw | ±40 metres
DxO PR4 | LrC

Pied Oystercatcher : Haematopus longirostris
Elegant Sea Snake : Hydrophis elegans
Please correct me if I'm wrong with the sea snake's ID.
Nudgee Beach, Moreton Bay, Brisbane, QLD, AU

05:05 : sunrise (overcast)
05:34 : low tide
05:50 : start walk across tidal flats
06:12 : photo (facing west; about 300 metres from shore)
07:20 : finish (742 images; 1 keeper)

Hi Marc,

A terrific composition - there's a great deal here to attract and hold the viewer's attention (colours, textures and detail - plus a subtle touch of mystery!).

(A dream location to live, though we suspect it has the odd wild weather day).

P&K

Last edited:
First time I've seen this…

I hadn't had much luck on this morning's saunter across Moreton Bay's tidal flats.

The pelicans had gone upriver (fishing scraps there), the Bar-tailed Godwits were flighty (because that's the way they are) and one of the oystercatchers had chosen to pick up a ‘stick’ and fly off with it (how strange!). Might as well take its photo…

View attachment 32223

30 frames/second | raw | ±40 metres
DxO PR4 | LrC

Pied Oystercatcher : Haematopus longirostris
Elegant Sea Snake : Hydrophis elegans
Please correct me if I'm wrong with the sea snake's ID.
Nudgee Beach, Moreton Bay, Brisbane, QLD, AU

05:05 : sunrise (overcast)
05:34 : low tide
05:50 : start walk across tidal flats
06:12 : photo (facing west; about 300 metres from shore)
07:20 : finish (742 images; 1 keeper)

Hi David,

A fascinating collection of facts and lead-in story - and what an absolutely fantastic BIF capture!

Nailed on focus, splendid pose and eye-pop, with the perfect backdrop - and the hapless victim contributing a final artistic flourish.

Well done - and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back