Following
Name
George Andreou
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi all, first post here.

I recently upgraded from a 6D to an R6 and I'm used to using auto ISO pretty much all the time.

However, I noticed that the ISO doesn't get to the auto setting when turning the dial that controls the ISO be default.

Steps to reproduce: When I turn the camera on the ISO is somewhere other than auto. I then turn the dial down but it only goes as far as 100. If I touch the ISO button on the screen I can then scroll down past 100 to auto. Then using the dial I can go up and back down to auto again.

If I half press the shutter to meter, I'm stuck again, only being able to go down as low as 100.

I later read that you can't change to auto when the camera is metering (after half pressing the shutter button). This is really annoying as I have to wait about 15s for the metering to stop before I can change it.

It sounds like this is as designed, so does anyone have any workarounds for this, and does anyone else find it odd behaviour?

I have an R5, not an R6. The R5 has a means of adjusting the time metering remains on, which is something you may want to consider or look for on the R6. If you are set to Auto ISO and change it manually, the camera will move off of Auto ISO for the shot and reset only after the meter times out. I first learned more about this from (I think) this YouTube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUjuHzYicgA. I did not re-listen to the video before answering here, but I believe that is the correct one. I know it was on the Points in Focus channel. Good luck!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back