Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I’ve got two cameras RP and R6.

Initially was going to trade RP for R6 to lower cost. But kept it as knockabout camera I keep in truck on farm. With 35mm 1.8 lens on it . Wife uses it and kids borrow it.

R6 has 24/70 L and 100/400 for birds and those special pics. Storms etc.

To me it’s a big investment a ten year investment even.

But seems many keep with the times and upgrade every 3 or 4 years to the latest.

Is that a good strategy? Aware some of you Guys use camera daily and need to upgrade. Some it seems upgrade just to keep up with crowd.

Prefer forums to Facebook but do look at FB and comment occasionally going by threads chatter the “all rounder r6” becoming a distant memory for many already not me will have for years.

Enjoy the challenge and failed attempts at birding…….

Horses for courses we are all different

“all rounder r6” becoming a distant memory for many
What would R6 get upgraded to? R5? Both were released at the same time - July 2020, so the upgrade wouldn't be due to one being outdated, but rather changing needs or ambitions of the owner.

My previous camera was Canon G7x Mk.2 mirrorless "point and shoot" which I used for about 5 years. It got replaced because I wanted a more powerful camera in general. The G7x is still fine for what it is, and is also 20 megapixels. You just can't change lenses on it, so it's limited in a lot of ways that R6 isn't. Perhaps I'll still find uses for it - when bringing the bulky R6 is impossible, and higher quality than a cellphone is needed (although phones are getting better and better). I still debate myself whether I should've splurged on the R5 in the first place to get the extra resolution, but at the same time I don't need poster-size prints, and storing/editing tens of thousands of 30 megabyte files can get expensive and frustrating in itself - so maybe I don't need R5; at least until storage gets larger/cheaper, and monitors gain higher resolution to take advantage of those larger images. Of course there's also the cropping aspect - I guess time will tell. Perhaps the 100mp version would be a fun upgrade if the cost isn't prohibitively expensive. But my point here is, there's not much of an upgrade from R6 to R5 unless you need that resolution, and it's not worth the extra 2.5k to everyone.

A few people I know who are into photography don't really upgrade all that often either, and a friend of mine was just telling me recently how he found a use for a very old but reliable DSLR that he had kept even after purchasing a newer camera. Actually don't know anyone who buys multi-thousand dollar cameras every few years, unless one happens to break. My father wanted a zoom camera and has been using the same one for years. The resolution is high enough for him and it works. So I guess unless the needs or wants change, there's really no reason to upgrade?

Perhaps the people you're refering to are the exceptions?

Just chewing the fat. Have a freind gone R R6 R5 when is the R1 comes will move the r5 on.
Like I said myself hopefully 10 yrs

Maybe he can give you a good deal on the R5!

Lots of people are still using the 7D2 as their go to camera and have been waiting for a crop sensor mirrorless to replace it. The R7 has arrived 8 years later and I'm sure those who have waited will be delighted with the upgrade.
Personally for me, I have reached a point where I'm no longer chasing the latest and I do feel that the R5 is such a leap forward for the first time I can't see me needing to upgrade in as many years as you are considering. My only concern now is I don't have a back up camera as I always have done in the past should anything go wrong. That way I never had a body that was over 4 years old.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back