Canon R5 Can you Power the R5 Through the USB Port?

Steinr98

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ronald Stein
I have a Power Pack that the camera does not recognize the battery pack when the dummy battery is put in the place of an actual battery. I know you can charge a battery thru the USB port, but I don't know if I can use a battery pack through the USB connector to power the camera. The Dummy Battery is a "LP-E6..But not the LP-E6HN. It actually is made for the old Canon DSLR cameras. I'm trying to find a work around. The Pack should last 6-8 hours shooting time- Thanks!

Solution
Only the LP-E6NH and LP-E6N support in-camera charging over USB, which might be why your R5 doesn't recognise the power bank when using the LP-E6 dummy battery. Not all power banks will power the R5 when turned on, typically they need to be around 45 watts of Power Delivery or higher but even then some of them don't work but will work to charge the battery when the R5 is powered off. I've tested the Anker PowerCore III Elite 26K 60W and the Anker PowerCore+ 26800mAh PD 45W and both will power the R5 when turned on using a genuine Canon LP-E6NH battery, I can't speak for using a dummy battery though.
As long as you use a PD power bank higher than 30W, you can operate the R5. Higher the mAh, the longer you can operate it. You do need a real battery in the camera, not a dummy.

I knew I still needed a battery in the camera- Just was not sure it would work. I also understand that a correct cable has to be used- one that will handle the PD power bank. This is a new area for me but am learning! Appreciate the help!
Ron

Only the LP-E6NH and LP-E6N support in-camera charging over USB, which might be why your R5 doesn't recognise the power bank when using the LP-E6 dummy battery. Not all power banks will power the R5 when turned on, typically they need to be around 45 watts of Power Delivery or higher but even then some of them don't work but will work to charge the battery when the R5 is powered off. I've tested the Anker PowerCore III Elite 26K 60W and the Anker PowerCore+ 26800mAh PD 45W and both will power the R5 when turned on using a genuine Canon LP-E6NH battery, I can't speak for using a dummy battery though.

Solution

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back