Joanne

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Joanne
I have a number of Canon lenses I'm hoping to use with my new R5. The adapter appears to be in short supply. Has anyone used one, or know of a source?

I've just seen this thread ... immediately after boxing up an EF to RF Canon adapter to send back to the people who I bought my R5 from - they sent it in error and hadn't a clue I had it !!

I did the decent thing and phoned them to advise I had it. They emailed me a label so I can send it back.

Unfortunately your beauty spots are too far for me, one day maybe. You have a great range of wildlife to snap away at. I look forward to seeing your work.

I question your choice of EOS M3. Why not the best in the M class a M6 mk2? I know there is a big price difference, the M 3 is at the bottom of the price mountain. I bought a M100 £95 and that's miles ahead of the M3 in regards to software and images capture even if it is missing a few knobs on top. Just a thought.

Out of interest, what is involved in converting a camera to IR and what is the cost?
I bought the M3 based on the recommendation of the local shop who does the conversion. They remove the IR filter and then you use one of a variety of filters on the camera to get the effect you want, such as B&W, full spectrum IR, and different wavelengths for different color effects. I'm new to the game so I'm going to just start playing around with it. The main attraction for me is to be able to shoot high contrast B&W during midday. They charge $250 to do the conversion. The M3 cost me a little over $200 plus the EF-M adapter. So I'm into it for a little over $500 before the filters. So not breaking the bank to get started.

Looking forward to seeing what the conversion does

Your $500 = £353

Camera gear in the UK is more like $1 for £1. I had thought of buying from USA except the import duty and vat brings it up to near the same as getting it locally

I have a Canon one but I have been waiting 8 months for a drop in filter one from Breakthrough Technology, but they have gotten sidetracked on it because they are doing something for video as well. Since I can't get a Canon one I'm still going to wait and see if they come through with it.

I have a number of Canon lenses I'm hoping to use with my new R5. The adapter appears to be in short supply. Has anyone used one, or know of a source?
I bought mine via Amazon. I would check B&H first. I bought the one with the special focusing ring, but I think the one without it is the better choice - as I haven't used that ring, and really didn't need that feature). I use the adaptor with my Canon EF 70-300 USN Lens. It's such a wonderful lens, I truly didn't want to part with it. I'm told that the RF lenses will always be better than an EF with an adaptor, but it suits my needs perfectly!

Hi, I have been using the Viltrox one, happily, with my old Canon 70-200

Viltrox make a number of Canon adapters all good in my opinion. I have 2 and they work perfectly, and at 1/5 the cost of Canon. Find them on Ebay.

Last edited:
The adapters are out there, you just need some googling skills. I'm in the US, my Control Ring adapter came from Canada, no tax and took as long as something being mailed domestically. All while everyone was clamoring about availability. it was very easy to find. Once again, some of you live in places where as you constantly remind us,...you get screwed with prices, VAT & availability . Trade you for your healthcare system and social welfare structure any day.

I ended up getting my 100-500 and 2X extender from Canon USA. I picked up a used M3 on eBay and having it converted to IR. I picked up a Viltrox EOS-M adapter to I can use my EF-S 18-135 and Tamron 70-300 with the M3. My Tamron 150-600 (Gen 1) doesn't work with the M3/Viltrox but I don't foresee doing a lot of IR with the long lens. It'll still work manually so I'll probably play around with it when I get the M3 back from the shop where it's being converted.

Just got back from SW Utah and Yellowstone. Warm in Utah, still pretty wintery in Yellowstone although had a couple of nice days. Bison with calves were plentiful, and some elk shedding their winter coats. One adolescent black bear. No other large wildlife unfortunately. Also got (I hope) some good shots of goldeneyes, white pelicans, Canada jays. and of course ravens. Also a chipmunk eating dandelion seed heads. I haven't had a chance to download them yet.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but Yellowstone and the National and State Parks of Utah are spectacular and should be on everyone's bucket list.
you can send your Tamron Vs1 back to the company for a free firmware upgrade ... be aware they'll want to charge you to clean it and to go thru it ... up to you on that

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back