Joanne

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Joanne
I have a number of Canon lenses I'm hoping to use with my new R5. The adapter appears to be in short supply. Has anyone used one, or know of a source?

I have the Viltrox one with R5 and have encountered no problems. My hand was forced as I couldn’t get the Canon one as it’s on a huge back log.

I eventually got the basic one from Canon which should have been with the camera but arrived after about three months from buying the R6. I already had a Viltrox and a Comlite from using the RP so now keep them permanently on the EF glass to avoid messing around when changing lenses. They all work perfectly, so no need to get hooked on waiting for the Canon version to become available.

It is frustrating to have this wonderful new body and have lenses and accessories in such short supply. A couple of photo shops that you might get on the waiting list with are my local shop in Portland OR: Pro Photo Supply, and Berger Bros Photo in Syosset NY. When I bought my R5 at Pro Photo I brought in my Tamron 70-300 and 150-600. The 70-300 worked fine with the adapter but the 150-600 (Gen 1) did not. I ended up buying the RF 24-240 so that makes the 70-300 a moot point. I'm on the waiting list for the RF 100-500 at a number of places. I have a trip planned to Yellowstone in late May so keeping my fingers crossed. If I can't get a 100-500 in time I'll buy the RF 600 f11. I tried one of those out when I bought my R5 and it is compact and light. Good luck in your search.
yes it was frustrating I acquired the 24-105 f4 lens straightaway than had to order direct from canon for my 100-500 ... so here's recommendation.. take it or leave it ... Canon is a DIRECT SOURCE AND OBVIOUSLY THEY'LL GET IT BEFORE THE CAMERA STORES ... TRUST ME IN THAT... in addition it may show in stock but odds are it isnt and you may have to wait ... I think i waited thee weeks for it ... check amazon ... they had the 70-200 like right now .... i went back to the camera store and picked up the last 28-70 f2 ... adapter ??? well i did pick up third party from B&H worked wonderfully with my EF lenses didnt like my Tamron VS1 lenses ... I do have a canon one but the knock off would've worked just fine .... i've told you the map i chose i wish you an abundance of luck and a little patience .... it'll be worth it

yes it was frustrating I acquired the 24-105 f4 lens straightaway than had to order direct from canon for my 100-500 ... so here's recommendation.. take it or leave it ... Canon is a DIRECT SOURCE AND OBVIOUSLY THEY'LL GET IT BEFORE THE CAMERA STORES ... TRUST ME IN THAT... in addition it may show in stock but odds are it isnt and you may have to wait ... I think i waited thee weeks for it ... check amazon ... they had the 70-200 like right now .... i went back to the camera store and picked up the last 28-70 f2 ... adapter ??? well i did pick up third party from B&H worked wonderfully with my EF lenses didnt like my Tamron VS1 lenses ... I do have a canon one but the knock off would've worked just fine .... i've told you the map i chose i wish you an abundance of luck and a little patience .... it'll be worth itBuy
yes it was frustrating I acquired the 24-105 f4 lens straightaway than had to order direct from canon for my 100-500 ... so here's recommendation.. take it or leave it ... Canon is a DIRECT SOURCE AND OBVIOUSLY THEY'LL GET IT BEFORE THE CAMERA STORES ... TRUST ME IN THAT... in addition it may show in stock but odds are it isnt and you may have to wait ... I think i waited thee weeks for it ... check amazon ... they had the 70-200 like right now .... i went back to the camera store and picked up the last 28-70 f2 ... adapter ??? well i did pick up third party from B&H worked wonderfully with my EF lenses didnt like my Tamron VS1 lenses ... I do have a canon one but the knock off would've worked just fine .... i've told you the map i chose i wish you an abundance of luck and a little patience .... it'll be worth it
I haven't found buying directly from Canon to always be the quickest route. In fact, it's only worked out in one case scenario for me since starting with the R6, and that was for a hood for the 55mm 1.8. For all the other hard-to-find items, I tried to purchase direct, but they always had as long or longer backorder than the retailers I ended up purchasing from. Ironically enough, that little hood took longer to get than any of the other items I've ordered. LOL

I tried the Viltrox EOS-R and the EF-R2 and I felt that there was a little too much play in the adapter so I returned them and bought the Canon EF to R with the control ring. I have it for my Tamron 150-600, Sigma EF-S 17-55 and my Canon EF 70-200 2.8 i and have been happy I made the change

Last edited:
I have a number of Canon lenses I'm hoping to use with my new R5. The adapter appears to be in short supply. Has anyone used one, or know of a source?
I just ordered one from estore.canon.ca that showed it in stock when I checked online. A Canada site might not be as convenient when you live in the United States.

I ended up getting my 100-500 and 2X extender from Canon USA. I picked up a used M3 on eBay and having it converted to IR. I picked up a Viltrox EOS-M adapter to I can use my EF-S 18-135 and Tamron 70-300 with the M3. My Tamron 150-600 (Gen 1) doesn't work with the M3/Viltrox but I don't foresee doing a lot of IR with the long lens. It'll still work manually so I'll probably play around with it when I get the M3 back from the shop where it's being converted.

Just got back from SW Utah and Yellowstone. Warm in Utah, still pretty wintery in Yellowstone although had a couple of nice days. Bison with calves were plentiful, and some elk shedding their winter coats. One adolescent black bear. No other large wildlife unfortunately. Also got (I hope) some good shots of goldeneyes, white pelicans, Canada jays. and of course ravens. Also a chipmunk eating dandelion seed heads. I haven't had a chance to download them yet.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but Yellowstone and the National and State Parks of Utah are spectacular and should be on everyone's bucket list.

Unfortunately your beauty spots are too far for me, one day maybe. You have a great range of wildlife to snap away at. I look forward to seeing your work.

I question your choice of EOS M3. Why not the best in the M class a M6 mk2? I know there is a big price difference, the M 3 is at the bottom of the price mountain. I bought a M100 £95 and that's miles ahead of the M3 in regards to software and images capture even if it is missing a few knobs on top. Just a thought.

Out of interest, what is involved in converting a camera to IR and what is the cost?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back