Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Robert Mosher
City/State
Haslett, MI, USA
FD Lens on Canon RP.

Using K&F Concept FD to EOS R adapter. The adapter allows the lens to correctly focus to infinity. The Canon RP provides three highlight colors to show what is in focus. To work well you need a bright spots in the area you are focusing on. The bright areas turn a noticeable shade of the color selected. If the bright area leans towards white it really helps. Unfortunately if you have medium to darker colors if can be hard to pick out the color change. One trick is to look to surrounding areas for the color highlights adjust so they cover the area of your darker subject. You can slowly adjust the focus and watch the color come toward your subject, or away from it. This trick also gives you a good feel for the depth of field,

The RF series including the RP allow magnification of the subject which helps my old eyes achieve a sharp focus. (Magnification Button, then info once or twice depending on how much magnification you need)

My original plan was just shoot my FD 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8, 28mm F2.8 and 24mm F2.8. This provided a lot of fun and experience for a while. However the very inexpensive RF 50mm F1.8 seduced my to the dark side of buying new lens. The RF 100mm F2.8 Macro is so sharp you feel your FD100 must have gone off while you weren't looking. It still has it's place as it is lighter and shorter by a lot.

Note other R models provide matching arrows, and the focus symbol lights up green when focus is achieved. I think this would be easier to use for my eyes to see.

Our Canon RP Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back