Choice of Editing Software ?

Photoshop CC for me, paid by subscription with extra storage space.

LR on my PC, occasionally use it on my iPad if needs must. Dabble in photoshop but just skim the surface. Nix apps on occasions which I like. I also use the basic editing on Flickr and Photo on the iPad. I find it nice to just use basic adjustments now and again as sometimes there is too much choice and I overdo things.

I have the Adobe photographic subscription but mainly use light room, this is better now than in the early days as it can do a lot of things that you had to go to Photoshop for and still allows you to jump into photoshop to do things like change a sky and then go back to Lightroom.

Im Adobe all the way. However my workflow tends to be to import to LR Classic, then do my initial edits on LR mobile on a tablet, then back to the laptop for finishing and output. I also might use PS Mix and Express for social media, PS desktop for anything that needs it.

I do occasionally use it, mostly for focus stacking. Since it isn't a wonderful interface, I prefer doing most of my routine post-processing in other tools.
I use it for batch processing. Never actually discovered how to do the same in PS although I've been using it for years.
It's said to be superior to LR for getting the best out of RAW and Canon colour, but again, I've been using LR for years and have got used to it.

I have the Adobe photographic subscription but mainly use light room, this is better now than in the early days as it can do a lot of things that you had to go to Photoshop for and still allows you to jump into photoshop to do things like change a sky and then go back to Lightroom.
Yeah, I've been using PS far longer than LR but now hardly use it apart from finishing off, e.g. resizing. Shame that the spot removal tool on LR is so poor compared to PS.

I'm a Lightroom Classic, sometime Photoshop guy... Just started looking at plugin and HDR stuff. Something I'm trying to get better at as I grow my hobby into something more someday (maybe).

Photoshop elements for quick fixes. Luminar AI for everything else (denoise, removing objects etc). I follow the same philosophy I used when I used in the darkroom. If I have to manipulate the picture (heavy burning, dodging and other manipulations) then is the photo worth printing?

How much work do I have to do to make it acceptable/great/amazing? I am not talking about photo stacking, denoise, basic colour correction or HDR. I am talking about object removal, e.g. a tree, tree branch, leaf someone/thing in the background/foreground. What we can do with software now we would spend hours in the darkroom to create/fix.

Last edited:
I have tried Luminar AI and for two days it was fine. Then crashed on loading the photo library and now crashes every time i try to load. Skylum sent an alternative software build but this does not get past the initial logo stage as it puts up a database will not load message. Beware of this package as on the internet i find i am far from alone in having problems with this package.

I have tried Luminar AI and for two days it was fine. Then crashed on loading the photo library and now crashes every time i try to load. Skylum sent an alternative software build but this does not get past the initial logo stage as it puts up a database will not load message. Beware of this package as on the internet i find i am far from alone in having problems with this package.
Windows or Mac? I usually use my Mac, but also use the windows version with no issues. It is "sensitive" to ad blockers, VPN's and anti virus software. I had to disable all three to download and install, but once installed I turned all three on and have had no issues using it. I have been using it since version 1 and before Macphun (now Skylum) Creative Kit. My PC is a AMD Ryzen 5 5600 a Gigabyte B550A MB with 32 GB 3600 ram M2 nvme PCIE4 ssd's. My Mac is a 2012 Mac mini with 16 gb memory (wish I could increase it) and an ssd drive. I went with Luminar because the Creative Kit was very useful. Everything I can do with the Creative kit was incorporated into Luminar.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back