Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mark Seymour
City/State
Rutland
I have just discovered the digital zoom feature on my R6 MKii. So reading into it, i understand that whatever focal length you have on the lens the digital zoom will increase it by either 2x or 4x. So in theory if i have lens at 200mm digital zoom will take it to 400mm or 800mm, if i have the 100-500 fitted, then in theory with digital zoom it could become a 400-2000mm if set at 4x, throw a teleconverter (i have the 1.4x) into the mix and it could become a 560mm-2800mm. I haven had time to experiment with it yet, but has anyone else used it? I would be using it for stills not video.

Also don't forget that the in-body digital zoom is exactly same as if you crop the image in post-processing. So it's not really adding anything, it's just already cropping in the camera.

I'm late to the party, but...I didn't write down the source for this but I read somewhere that the digital zoom "Magnifies the center of the image then upscales the resolution to 24 MP". I haven't tested this so I don't know if it's true.

have used the zoom a couple of times and not overly impressed, but possibly me rather than the camera/lens. Will keep experimenting

Throw a teleconverter (I have the 1.4x) into the mix and it could become a 560mm–2800 mm.
  • 100–500 x 4 = 400–2000 mm
  • 300–500 x 1.4 x 4 = 1680–2800 mm

Mark, this sounds like a fun exercise (especially with stooping Peregrine Falcons!). We're looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

… David

Last edited:
  • 100–500 x 4 = 400–2000 mm
  • 300–500 x 1.4 x 4 = 1680–2800 mm

Mark, this sounds like a fun exercise (especially with stooping Peregrine Falcons!). We're looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

… David
Ah yes, was forgetting that 1.4x converter only works from 300mm, will hopefully post some images once i have had a play.

Major loss in resolution with digital zoom.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali
Back