Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Norman Schweitzer
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am looking for alternatives the the Atomos Ninja V (monitor and recording device) More specifically an external recording device (standalone SSD)? I am not in need of a monitor. I have done an internet search but all that comes up is the Atomos. Can you record directly to a SSD?

Blackmagic has their Video Assist 7" 12G recorder which can record 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 to SDXC cards or externally to a USB-C SSD, but its base price is more than the Ninja V and isn't really optimized for working with Canon the way the Ninja V is.

For all that it does the Ninja V is pretty much a steal. There are a lot more expensive external monitors that don't even record (looking at you SmallHD) out there. It's certainly an expense, and the expense doesn't stop when you buy the monitor, you need cables, batteries, and SSDs and such. but well worth it if you need to record longer than 30 minutes continuously, want to shoot 10-bit (on an EOS R) or just want to benefit from the ease of editing ProRes or DNxHR. To me the biggest downside is you'll need a LOT of storage space, the output files are HUGE, though you can use ProRes LT for smaller files with pretty much no loss of quality.

Blackmagic has their Video Assist 7" 12G recorder which can record 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 to SDXC cards or externally to a USB-C SSD, but its base price is more than the Ninja V and isn't really optimized for working with Canon the way the Ninja V is.

For all that it does the Ninja V is pretty much a steal. There are a lot more expensive external monitors that don't even record (looking at you SmallHD) out there. It's certainly an expense, and the expense doesn't stop when you buy the monitor, you need cables, batteries, and SSDs and such. but well worth it if you need to record longer than 30 minutes continuously, want to shoot 10-bit (on an EOS R) or just want to benefit from the ease of editing ProRes or DNxHR. To me the biggest downside is you'll need a LOT of storage space, the output files are HUGE, though you can use ProRes LT for smaller files with pretty much no loss of quality.
Thanks for the great reply. I have looked ofr alternatives, but did not find anything. I was looking for a monitor/external recording device. more specifically and external recording device. either to an external card read or ssd (NVME M2).

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back