What Photography Related Item Have You Bought or Sold This Week?

I just ordered an R7. Should be here today.

Getting ready for the eclipse, and I want to get a bunch of test shots and have plenty of time to learn the camera before the eclipse.

I've been wanting to get the new 200-800mm when it becomes more available. But I have an agreement with my wife to keep my hobby as cost neutral as possible. So this week I sold 5 shotguns and a rifle and netted just over $2200. So now I have enough for the lens and maybe something else. Truth of the matter these were all hunting weapons and I'd rather shoot pictures of birds now than bring them home for dinner.

I used my R and RF 24-105 to photograph all the guns to send to the buyer. This one earned my just over a grand as it's a rather rare model with a nice walnut stock.

2024-011-001 shotguns.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

I bought a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer GTI mount yesterday. It arrived this morning. Dropping off at UPS tonight to return.
Decided I didn't want to invest in a guide scope, camera & power source to get it to perform correctly (see reviews).
Guess I will dig out my old goto C8 mount and see if I can get it running.

Just sold my R7

I bought a UV filter for my new Venus Laowa 9mm lens for my Canon M6 MkII. Sadly, Venus Optics has such a close fit on their bayonet lens hood that it can not be used if the filter is on. Oh well, I can always return in to Amazon.

I've been wanting to get the new 200-800mm when it becomes more available. But I have an agreement with my wife to keep my hobby as cost neutral as possible. So this week I sold 5 shotguns and a rifle and netted just over $2200. So now I have enough for the lens and maybe something else. Truth of the matter these were all hunting weapons and I'd rather shoot pictures of birds now than bring them home for dinner.

I used my R and RF 24-105 to photograph all the guns to send to the buyer. This one earned my just over a grand as it's a rather rare model with a nice walnut stock.

View attachment 25605
I did the exact same thing in the mid 1990's. I sold all of my guns, around 10 if I remember correctly, and invested in a camera body and 2 lenses. The last day I sat in a deer stand with a gun, I realized that if I shot a deer, I would have to do a lot of work afterwards to get it ready for processing etc. And I still had venison in the freezer from the last season. So only sat in the stand the rest of that evening and enjoyed nature. I do not have any problem at all with responsible hunting, it is just that I choose to do it with a camera now.

Nice Remington there, I agree that is a nice stock.

Also, I've bought a 16 TB HDD for photo backup purposes, together with an Orico 5-bay HDD dock to replace a dual-bay one which kept dropping off the USB bus during backup sessions. Finally, as the old dock included an SD card reader and the new one doesn't, I've bought a ProGrade reader (which also has a CF Type B slot, so I'll at last be able to transfer my photos easily, and not have to use FTP).

Oh, and I'm off to The Photography Show next weekend, where I'll no doubt buy something to celebrate my 65th birthday. Watch this space...

Replacement lightning trigger "strike finder" and a portabrace raincover

Niether avaialble in oz b@h

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back