Who will jump first

Apparently IS automatically detects panning. That switch is a real pain. When you are in a hurry it skips between Modes 1 and 3. You have to press carefully to get it to Mode 2. I always forget to adjust it.

On the list at my shop so could be first on my block.

To some of the reasons not to posted above, the availability of panning AF as already been clarified by the OP. To the point about the 100-500 + 1.4xTC, if weight is your only concern and you're happy with the comparison to an overly long and unweildy 420-700mm lens...

If I see any lens specific issue for me so far (and I've been away at a family wedding so I haven't had a chance to really listen to a hands on review) it seems to be the amount of turn in the zoom ring to get from 200 to 800mm. Sure, that's a huge focal length difference, so I understand the need to do multiple cranks, but it seems like it requires almost two full turns to get from min to max. If I think about the first turn as 200-500/600mm and the second turn as the rest of the way, as if it's adding a zoom onto my zoom, it's easier to accept, but not what I'd consider ideal. Would I be happy to pay double for a fix? Probably not. LOL

I can't see this replacing my 100-500mm. But in certain situations I can see using it for wildlife in the field, and the idea of a 320-1280mm with no TC on an R7 in certain situations is beyond appealing. The one thing with that, which was mentioned in one of the two reviews I've partially watched, is that you cannot overlook temperature distortion when shooting outdoors over distances where 1280mm is required to get you to your subject.

I’m missing something. Where was panning clarified by the OP?

Just like I expected. We knew the 100-500 IQ edged out the 200-800 but are neck in neck when you put the 1.4 on the 100-500.

I’m missing something. Where was panning clarified by the OP?
OK, not by the OP, but the original poster of the question regarding panning. I believe you said, "Apparently IS automatically detects panning", which is what I'd been told. ;)

OK, not by the OP, but the original poster of the question regarding panning. I believe you said, "Apparently IS automatically detects panning", which is what I'd been told. ;)
Oh I see. DPreview and the Digital Picture state Auto Detect but there is nothing in any Canon documentation, videos, etc. Also no other 3rd party testers in any videos I have seen talked about it.

I should add. Those are the only two sources so I said apparently just to be on the safe side.

I guess the tech exists and will likely be in the 200-800. From the 800 f11 manual and it has no mode switch either.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2023-11-06-at-3.21.04 PM.jpg
    Screenshot-2023-11-06-at-3.21.04 PM.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 16

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back