• RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

Reef Point, Shorncliffe
Redcliffe Peninsula, Queensland

No: this photo isn't a pano.

Once again I was caught out with just one do-it-all lens — my RF100–500, of course — and had to figure out how to capture this motor yacht heading for the open ocean from the sheltered waters of Moreton Bay.

My choice was to play by the rule of thirds and hope for the best.

Rule of Thirds

Bound for the Wide Blue Yonder…

View attachment 18418

Reef Point, Shorncliffe
Redcliffe Peninsula, Queensland

No: this photo isn't a pano.

Once again I was caught out with just one do-it-all lens — my RF100–500, of course — and had to figure out how to capture this motor yacht heading for the open ocean from the sheltered waters of Moreton Bay.

My choice was to play by the rule of thirds and hope for the best.

View attachment 18419
Hi David,

Another wonderfully pleasing shot of an expansive (and gorgeously blue) scene.

We live in central England - about as far away from the sea as you can get in every direction, so images such as yours always capture our attention.

We love our RF 100-500 - it's such a versatile lens. Perhaps we'll pop down the local canal and see if we can replicate this shot (using brown)... :LOL:

P&K

The last of the images from our recent visit to Chester Zoo, Chester, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ Nik Collection, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop and Topaz Studio 2).

Phil and Karen

1. H-e-l-l-o...

RF-S-CZ-13.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

2. What a bunch of cuties...

RF-S-CZ-14.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 451.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

3. Morning all...

RF-S-CZ-15.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

4. Take some time to reflect...

RF-S-CZ-16.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 472.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 320

5. Tiger Club - let us hear you say 'grrrrrr'...

RF-S-CZ-17.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
  • 371.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 640

6. Re-edit - What an eye-full...

RF-S-CZ-18.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 5000

Poison Spewer …

Bell Helicopter
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 343.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 2000

Bell 206L Helicopter

I was hoping to shoot some birds in our backyard (once again no luck) when along came this chopper, returning from a session killing off fire ants.

Hopefully, the next time that I hear one approaching, I'll remember to use a slower shutter speed to blur the blades a bit. Thoughts on that, anyone?

Poison Spewer …

View attachment 18475

Bell 206L Helicopter

I was hoping to shoot some birds in our backyard (once again no luck) when along came this chopper, returning from a session killing off fire ants.

Hopefully, the next time that I hear one approaching, I'll remember to use a slower shutter speed to blur the blades a bit. Thoughts on that, anyone?
Hi David,

Crikey - how big are the ants... :cool:

(I have no particular expertise/ talent when it comes to aircraft - or anything else :LOL: - but I've seen fairly low shutter speeds cited - 1/200-320-400th for propellor aircraft and for helicopters >1/160th, or lower. If you do find the secret to success perhaps you could come back and let us all know... :)).

Nice shot too!

P&K

*** Your R System Images - July 2023 *** Thread Closed…

A wonderful collection of inspirational R System images this month - posted from people all around the world and viewed by people all around the world - we’ve really enjoyed seeing them. A HUGE ‘thank you’ to all of the contributors and commentators - your talents and time are appreciated!!

You can continue to post any comments here, but the August thread is now open for all new images (including any additional July material).

Phil and Karen 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back