Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Cliff Kimura
Hello Everyone

I have the opportunity to get a 2nd camera body to go along with my R5. Should I stay with the R5 or look at the R6?

Thanks!

my vote: 2 identical bodies means all buttons/controls/menu items are identical. that helps avoid missed shots that can happen when muscle memory causes you to press the wrong button for exposure compensation, iso, focus method, etc. same thing when post processing--files from the same body respond the same way to editing.

my vote: 2 identical bodies means all buttons/controls/menu items are identical. that helps avoid missed shots that can happen when muscle memory causes you to press the wrong button for exposure compensation, iso, focus method, etc. same thing when post processing--files from the same body respond the same way to editing.
Thanks! Appreciate the reply.

With the exception of the top LCD screen, the R6 controls are identical to the R5. I have an R5/R6 combo and have them both set up the same way.

Depending on what you shoot, you may see some benefit to the R6 lower resolution/larger pixels. It does a little better at high ISO than the R5 and will save you some money.

I was original hesitant on the R6 at only 20mp, sold one R to buy the R5, then after seeing R6 pics (and hating the two very different controls between R and R5) I sold my other R to get an R6 as my second body.

Best of both as far i as I am concerned. A little better IQ on the R6 so long as you have enough lens. Higher density on the R5 if you need to crop.

ah, that's pretty cool. 20mp doesn't bother me, and the screen wouldn't bother me--so if all the "buttons and controls" are the same then you're golden, and it's just a matter of whether u need/want the higher mp file. btw, I'm assuming we're talking primarily stills, video is not a concern?

Yes, stills for me.

What really sets the R5 apart from the R6 is resolution and video modes (R5 will do 8K). Other than that pretty much same feature set, same (AWESOME) AF system, same processor, etc.

ah, that's pretty cool. 20mp doesn't bother me, and the screen wouldn't bother me--so if all the "buttons and controls" are the same then you're golden, and it's just a matter of whether u need/want the higher mp file. btw, I'm assuming we're talking primarily stills, video is not a concern?
Yes stills, video is minimal

Get a second R5 send it to me and I'll send you a R. :)

I would get an identical body.

I would go for the R6 and slightly better ISO performance plus a big cash saving too. On the other hand maybe wait and see what the R3 brings!

Hello Everyone

I have the opportunity to get a 2nd camera body to go along with my R5. Should I stay with the R5 or look at the R6?

Thanks!
Nobody can answer that but you. It really depends on what second body is for: backup for weddings? Backup for portraits? Backup at all? Budget? For teaching others?

These are questions you will need to answer first.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back