2nd camera boday

Just had this conversation yesterday with someone in the know at Canon. Long story short, if I needed it as a backup to the R5 then I should get an R5. If I wanted it for walk around and non-wildlife shooting to drag along with the R5 (yes), and I could live with 20MPs (which I've been with the D500 for 6 years), then get the R6, which is what I'm doing.

Just had this conversation yesterday with someone in the know at Canon. Long story short, if I needed it as a backup to the R5 then I should get an R5. If I wanted it for walk around and non-wildlife shooting to drag along with the R5 (yes), and I could live with 20MPs (which I've been with the D500 for 6 years), then get the R6, which is what I'm doing.
I am not a pro and have the R6 and use it for both aviation and bird photography. Perhaps there is a difference between the 45 vs 20 mp but as an avid amateur I think the image quality from the R6 is very good so in my opinion, the R6 is excellent as either a primary or secondary camera.

I am not a pro and have the R6 and use it for both aviation and bird photography. Perhaps there is a difference between the 45 vs 20 mp but as an avid amateur I think the image quality from the R6 is very good so in my opinion, the R6 is excellent as either a primary or secondary camera.
I came to the R5 via a D500, so having the "reach" of a cropped sensor for a lot of small birds was necessary, even with a 500mm attached. I've got the '*' button set so I can quickly toggle to 1.6x cropped mode, which was useless on a DSLR, but on a mirrorless it just zooms in and it's a new world plus I don't have to ingest and create previews for all those raw pixels that I'm only going to crop out later. (Note: I actually wanted to do this with a D800 back in 2013 and got frustrated by trying to keep everything in the center 44% of the viewfinder - so I had the idea, just not the tech).

20 MPs (or ~17MPs) is more than sufficient if you can fill the frame. With small songbirds I can't always do that, which is why the R5 makes sense.

ah, that's pretty cool. 20mp doesn't bother me, and the screen wouldn't bother me--so if all the "buttons and controls" are the same then you're golden, and it's just a matter of whether u need/want the higher mp file. btw, I'm assuming we're talking primarily stills, video is not a concern?
The R6 actually outperforms the R5 is a couple areas, With the similar controls, I'd get the R6. That is unless the nature of your gig, business or enjoyment requires redundancy. I came from the 5D3 and the R6 is a marvel in comparison. I sampled an R5 but it was just too much for my needs.....think 6d > 5D in terms of low light, noise and simpler Servo menus.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back