Canon R5 Anyone using a L Bracket on an R6 (or R5)

TMac99

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tracey
Is anyone using an an ARCA L bracket on an R6, (or also R5 if they are the same body - not sure of that). For it to be useful to quickly switch into portrait orientation it would have to allow the screen to still have full articulation. I can't quite confirm that from any web site reviews I have seen. The Ellie from 3 Legged Things looks promising, but as I said, can't quite confirm full screen articulation with the beaker installed.

I use a SmallRig one, however it doesn't allow you to 'quickly switch into portrait orientation'. I'm not sure if there is one out there that will allow this due to the actual design of an L-Bracket.

I've considered the Ellie from 3 Legged Thing as well, as it seems the most compatible with our R6s, but I have the Peak Design clutch with the Arca plate attachment, and I'm not sure if all of that would work together. When I have the 85mm lens on, also use the PD slide stap as well, just for added insurance, so that's a lot of stuff to put on the little camera. I'd love to try the Ellie out as a demo and see how it works.

I've considered the Ellie from 3 Legged Thing as well, as it seems the most compatible with our R6s, but I have the Peak Design clutch with the Arca plate attachment, and I'm not sure if all of that would work together. When I have the 85mm lens on, also use the PD slide stap as well, just for added insurance, so that's a lot of stuff to put on the little camera. I'd love to try the Ellie out as a demo and see how it works.
I use the Ellie with the PD Clutch - there's plenty of scope on the Ellie base plate to attach a PD anchor. When I'm feeling really indecisive about how I'm going to carry and use the camera I also add a couple more PD Anchors to the body strap mounts to use with a Slide strap too. It all fits.

Is anyone using an an ARCA L bracket on an R6, (or also R5 if they are the same body - not sure of that). For it to be useful to quickly switch into portrait orientation it would have to allow the screen to still have full articulation. I can't quite confirm that from any web site reviews I have seen. The Ellie from 3 Legged Things looks promising, but as I said, can't quite confirm full screen articulation with the beaker installed.
I bought a cheap L-bracket from Amazon and then discovered the articulation issue. But it turned out the the slot was long enough to have the rising arm at the shutter release side so it works fine.

Attachments

• Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 253
I have the SUNWAYFOTO PCL-R5 L-Bracket for Canon Eos R5/R6 DSLR Arca/RRS Compatible Quick Release Plate from Amazon. The side plate is removable, I wrote a review about it here.

However, I think there are better options out there. I recently found the Peipro L Plate on AliExpress that I'm going to order. They have other models on Amazon, but not this one. There are also other options on AliExpress, but they didn't have a strap attachment point that I could use with my wrist strap.

The NICEYRIG Extension L Bracket (Amazon) looks like it has a wider opening for better articulation.

I use the Ellie with the PD Clutch - there's plenty of scope on the Ellie base plate to attach a PD anchor. When I'm feeling really indecisive about how I'm going to carry and use the camera I also add a couple more PD Anchors to the body strap mounts to use with a Slide strap too. It all fits.
Thank you! Can you share a photo? What I'd really like to do is to be able to use my PD clutch and slide, yet still be able to use the Ellie and the Arca quick release that is native to my Benro ball head. The PD plate works, but anchor plate with the loops makes it a little tricky getting a secure attachment to the ball head.

Julian,
Does the Ellie allow full use of the articulating screen in both landscape and portrait mounting?

Thank you! Can you share a photo? What I'd really like to do is to be able to use my PD clutch and slide, yet still be able to use the Ellie and the Arca quick release that is native to my Benro ball head. The PD plate works, but anchor plate with the loops makes it a little tricky getting a secure attachment to the ball head.
Hi MaraLee, a couple of shots - not the best product shots ever ;). My use case is a little different from yours; I use one or the other of the straps, not both at the same time and realised that I have the left hand (as in the shots) PD anchor attached to the body and the right hand attached to the slide strap when not in active use - not both to the body as I said originally, so sorry if that has mislead you. It's then a relatively quick swap from one to the other. You could mount the right hand PD anchor through the metal clip of the Clutch strap, maybe not quite so secure, but if you were worried about a strap failure you'd still need two points to go at once. I think you'd still be OK with the the quick release on your Benro head clearing the PD anchor and hopefully that's clearer from my photo. As others have mentioned, screen articulation with an L bracket is a little restricted. I can put the screen into all it's fixed positions (open/closed on the body and open/close when swung out form the body) but the intermediate angles are restricted - no idea if this is important to you though.

Attachments

• 2021-03-30-18-00-44.jpg
    2021-03-30-18-00-44.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 2021-03-30-18-01-45.jpg
    2021-03-30-18-01-45.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 243
Hi MaraLee, a couple of shots - not the best product shots ever ;). My use case is a little different from yours; I use one or the other of the straps, not both at the same time and realised that I have the left hand (as in the shots) PD anchor attached to the body and the right hand attached to the slide strap when not in active use - not both to the body as I said originally, so sorry if that has mislead you. It's then a relatively quick swap from one to the other. You could mount the right hand PD anchor through the metal clip of the Clutch strap, maybe not quite so secure, but if you were worried about a strap failure you'd still need two points to go at once. I think you'd still be OK with the the quick release on your Benro head clearing the PD anchor and hopefully that's clearer from my photo. As others have mentioned, screen articulation with an L bracket is a little restricted. I can put the screen into all it's fixed positions (open/closed on the body and open/close when swung out form the body) but the intermediate angles are restricted - no idea if this is important to you though.
Thank you very much for the photos. That's exactly the info I needed, but I'm still undecided. I use the slide as insurance because I have neurological issues with my left hand. It'll sometimes just let go of things at the worst times. With my 85 1.2, I need both hands to hold it, so when mounting it on the tripod, or even just when shooting, the slid ensures it doesn't hit the ground.

I'm not crazy about losing the full range of the LCD viewer. I'm just under 5' and sometimes have the camera held over my head or on the ground and use the screen instead of the ELV. The bracket would definitely HAVE to come off for those instances.

I'll probably get one just to have it. I usually end up doing club-type events and for that it would be invaluable.
Thanks again!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back