Canon R5 Anyone using a L Bracket on an R6 (or R5)

TMac99

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tracey
Is anyone using an an ARCA L bracket on an R6, (or also R5 if they are the same body - not sure of that). For it to be useful to quickly switch into portrait orientation it would have to allow the screen to still have full articulation. I can't quite confirm that from any web site reviews I have seen. The Ellie from 3 Legged Things looks promising, but as I said, can't quite confirm full screen articulation with the beaker installed.

I have been using the SmallRig Cage for the R5/R6 and I like it very much. I have added a handgrip to the left side of the cage for increased stability. I have the cable clamps for tethering and I also attach an Atomos Ninja 5 Recorder and screen to the top of the cage with another SmallRig attachment for recording video externally. This allows me to record video to external SD drives. A terabyte drive is about $100.00 US so it is quite a savings over the CF Express cards. I think this will pay for itself in the long run. The cage fits quite well. As for switching between landscape and portrait, I use a ball head so this is not much of an issue for my uses.

Attachments

• SmallRig Stuff.jpg
    SmallRig Stuff.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 261
I use the sunwayfoto l bracket for use with the grip on the R5 and the smallrig without the grip found both to be what they say on the box. I rarely use the rear monitor pulled out so I’m not worried about issues with that. I’m more focused on being able to change format quick.

I use the Kirk, works well. Of course there is no swivel with the tilty flippy when extended but thats common knowledge now with all of these L plates. Photo gear is almost always a series of compromises. I like Kirk, they are usually on par with RRS yet a few bills less....however , I do not support Really Right Stuff for non photographic reasons. To each their own.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up with a ProMediaGear PLCR56. The vertical arm is pushed forward and it keeps well out of the way of the side connections and allows full screen articulation. Of course, it was one of the most expensive (why does it always work out that way), but it is a quality piece of gear that does exactly what needed.

PLCR56.jpg

Thanks for all the input. I ended up with a ProMediaGear PLCR56. The vertical arm is pushed forward and it keeps well out of the way of the side connections and allows full screen articulation. Of course, it was one of the most expensive (why does it always work out that way), but it is a quality piece of gear that does exactly what needed.

View attachment 2807
Does the portrait orientation slide in and out? If not that is quite the space. It would impede your hand being on the camera body or being squeezed in between.

Does the portrait orientation slide in and out? If not that is quite the space. It would impede your hand being on the camera body or being squeezed in between.
Yes, it can slide in and out, but I find that I leave it in and the vertical arm works as a handle if I need to grab that side of the camera. Normally, my left hand is under the lens, so it does not come into contact with the L bracket. There is nothing on the grip side of the camera to impede your normal hold on the grip.

Yes, it can slide in and out, but I find that I leave it in and the vertical arm works as a handle if I need to grab that side of the camera. Normally, my left hand is under the lens, so it does not come into contact with the L bracket. There is nothing on the grip side of the camera to impede your normal hold on the grip.
I've used L plates for 20 years and found the one piece units were better for me in the long run what with nothing to loosen and almost becoming a part of the body itself. YMMV. Enjoy :)

I'm using the Kirk bracket for my R5. I've always bought RRS brackets before but the lower cost and lighter weight sold me on the Kirk. I like the one piece design as well and although it means that I have to finagle the articulating screen I'm okay with that, at least for now.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back