Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So what features would people like to see added to the R5 either via firmware update or a new R5 Mark II. Obviously one needs to be realistic about what's possible to add via firmware, there certainly won't be an increase in megapixels. Thanks to @Greg for suggesting this thread.

They need to just make clipping indicators live (and on/off programmable to a button) in the viewfinder instead of just on image review. Zebras are irritating and are a video thing.
Live blinkies would do, though we like zebras too, but most definitely 'yes' - with an on/ off function customisable to a button.

P&K

I do have more wishes, though I seriously doubt they’ll be implemented:
The user interface of the R5 is a hot mess. I’ve gone from an old Rebel to the 7D to 7D II to 5D IV, and Canon has been adding more and more menu items, always keeping the old terminology, and with the R5, I think it’s fairly broken. Not completely broken, but there are a LOT of usability problems with this camera.

I could list many examples. One? The AF joystick. Have you tried to use it? By default, the joystick is TRIPLE disabled.

And then there’s the eye defect AF, which sort of overrides the entire AF model that Canon’s always used. I think they somewhat fixed this with the newer R cameras, but it’s quite cumbersome with the R5.

The AutoISO setting that works fine, but if you manually select an ISO it sometimes cannot be set back to AutoISO without jumping into a menu.

In R5C, Canon completely isolated and separated still and video settings, but in R5, I have absolutely no idea which control is universal to stills and video and which is video only.

How about configuring memory cards? So confusing! They use meaningless terminology in the menu names and you have to jump between completely separate areas to configure how your shots are saved, if, for instance, you want RAW on CF and JPEG on the SD.

I agree 100% regarding the confusing menu on the R5, and had the same experience configuring the memory card slots. I had originally set the CF for RAW and the SD for JPG and then decided the cards should both be set to RAW with the CF as primary and the SD as secondary. That was not as simple as it should have been.

My list:
- 14-bit ES, at least for single shot or low speed shooting
- Options to auto-toggle between ES and EFCS/MS based on combinations of shutter speed and/or aperture.
- Zebras/blinkies for stills (pre-capture).
- Option for spot metering to be tied to floating focus point rather than fixed center area.
- More than 3 custom modes. It's a button rather than dial so I'd think this is easy to do.
- Remove 1/2 second shutter speed restriction on ES.
- Option for wifi settings to be linked to custom mode selection rather than global setting.
- For self-portraits on multi-sec delay, option for AF to continue tracking after shutter pressed.
- More customizability of info. to be displayed/not displayed in viewfinder.
- Easier/better connectivity to smartphones.

Hi Philip,

In terms of your additional customisation wish, I may (or may not) be able to help. Consider trying the ‘Register/ Recall shooting func’ custom function, which allows a number of settings to be assigned to a custom button - this provides a non-latching, pseudo ‘C4’. (The usefulness of this function will depend on what you need the extra custom setting for - but I thought it worth mentioning this option).

The f/w v1.8.1 has now launched UK Link.

Phil

8153FF44-1F09-47B6-B2D4-E5ED3B95939B.jpeg

Last edited:
Four pages of feature wishes, and Canon delivers one single feature which no-one mentioned once.

But Canon gets to brag about having a 400 megapixel camera.

Hi Marshall,

I haven’t built up the momentum to update yet - giving it a week or so to see if there any bug reports..

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Philip,

In terms of your additional customisation wish, I may (or may not) be able to help. Consider trying the ‘Register/ Recall shooting func’ custom function, which allows a number of settings to be assigned to a custom button - this provides a non-latching, pseudo ‘C4’. (The usefulness of this function will depend on what you need the extra custom setting for - but I thought it worth mentioning this option).

The f/w v1.8.1 has now launched UK Link.

Phil
Thank you Phil. That's a good suggestion.

Pro Capture, like Olympus has in their E1 (or EM1 II, or III...). Great feature, but not sure if a FF cam can do it

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back